Twenty Two

Steve's P.O.V.

"I don't care what that hydra scum has to say unless it involves crucial information on the whereabouts of the rest of hydra!"

Stark rolls his eyes and mumbles something that sounds familiar to an insult.

"She saved your life! If she was bad she would have let you die!"

"For all I know it may have been in order to keep me alive for captivity!"

Stark sighs.
He gets up and begins to walk away.

"Don't you dare go down there and speak to her! She's obviously manipulating you!"

He ignores me.

~~~~~~time skip~~~~~~

Everyone is asleep except me.
I can't sleep, she's managed to stay on my mind.
She spoke to Stark, but not me...how come?

I need answers.

I'll go down there and get the actual information; not the lies she spouts to Stark! She can't manipulate me, not again,never again.

I slap my palm as hard as I can on the door. The sound jolts Mariketa awake.
She doesn't even look up at me.

"Alright. I'm tired of hearing all the lies you tell the others. Tell me the truth or you will regret it."

Silence.

I open the door to her captivity chamber and enter. I walk over to where she sitting.
I notice a pile of magazines untouched in the corner. Stark.
This irritates me more than it should.

"I'm going to give you one last chance to fess up."

Silence.

"I am not afraid to use force!"

She begins to laugh.
I look at her with confusion.

"Do it. Be a hero and finish the job." She says darkly.

"I don't understand..."

She finally looks up at me, her eyes red from crying. She looks like a defeated child. I feel a pain in my chest as I look at her in this condition.

Suddenly she's on her knees,grabbing at my jeans. Tears pouring from her eyes once more.

"Please, dispose of the 'hydra scum'! Be a hero!"

I'm absolutely frozen with fear...I don't know what to do so I just look at the weeping girl clutching to me.

"Ugh,it's no use I guess."
She stands up now,wiping away the tears.

"What?"

"I thought you'd shoot me. You know, put me out of my misery once you realized I am of no valuable source of information...but I guess not."

Anger fills me.

"SUCH A COWARD! NOT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO OWN UP TO ALL THE INJUSTICE YOU HAVE DONE TO ALL OF US! TRYING TO FIND A CHEAP WAY TO LEAVE NO MATTER THE MEANS, I DONT SEE HOW YOU FOOLED ME THE FIRST TIME!"

"First of all buddy, I risked my life and position to save you,of all people! You don't know how much that has cost me! I gave up everything to save you for some reason, the least you can do is to be thankful!"

I glare at the girl.

Her anger fades. She sits on the cot, her face giving of a mix of emotions.
I stand there for some time watching her silently.

"I lost her. I- she's gone and it's my fault. I was too busy trying to save the life of a stupid hero. A stupid hero who won't even pay me back by SHOOTING ME LIKE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO!"

She glares at me.

"I'm sorry?" I don't know what to do. I was not prepared for this.

"GET OUT"

"Excuse me?"
Is she commanding me? When she is the traitor and not to mention the one being held here? The audacity!