¦second - when she has an idea¦

Dear Diary

Winston is gone now, too. Now all the family I had is up there. In the bloody maze, as Newt would put it...

I swear, Winston is the best cousin ever. Even if the historical figures we were named after didn't get on well. I learnt something about her today. Emmeline Pankhurst, I mean. She's the person I was named after. She was a fighter for women's rights. I learnt that she liked one of her daughters more than the other. Christabel has always been her favourite daughter, while Silvia wasn't.

I don't know if I still like her. How could she put one person over the other? Strange. It's a bit like WCKD. I like the fact that they want to find a cure as much as I like the fact that Emmeline wanted to get women the right to vote. But I don't like the way WCKD does it and I don't like the way Emmeline thought of her daughters.

I miss Winston. So much. I miss all my friends. I miss being able to hug them, to talk to them. Now I can just see them through screens.

Winston and me, we got into WCKD together. We should've gone out together, too. Maybe we still can. I just need to get Winston, Newt, Minho and all the others out of the glade. Then, everything will be fine.

Emily slammed the book shut. She thought of all the sentences she already wrote down. Almost twenty pages were full of black lines.

She put it under her mattress again and went to see her cousin and how he was doing up there. Who he would make friends with.

In the computer room, Emily almost immediately noticed Thomas and Teresa. Thomas was sitting in front of his computer, with Teresa looking over his shoulder. They were probably watching the glade or making some analyses.

Emily continued to stare at the two. They did part of the variables. They wrote them down. Emily would find out as much as possible about her friends' future. And she would somehow rescue them. She needed a plan.