¦seventh - when they get cranky¦

Emily slid the door to the computer room open. Inside were Thomas and Rachel, sitting at their desks and whispering.

Emily didn't say anything. She walked to her own desk and started working on guessing Thomas' password, so she could get to his notes about the variables.

After a few unsuccessful combinations, she gave up for the day and got back to watching Alby and Nick while they were walking towards the med-jack-hut.

She let a strangled sigh slip when she saw Newt lying on his stomach, not moving and all pale.

"Emily?"

"Yes, Thomas?", she answered, not taking her eyes off the screen. Thomas raised an eyebrow at her.

"What are you doing here?", he demanded to know.

Emily laughed dryly. "Just looking after a good friend."

Thomas stared at her. Rachel ignored their conversation and started writing something down.

"Look, Emily-" "I don't care what you're gonna say. I'm still watching over him and the others."

Thomas sighed. His voice sounded like he was stressed. "I know. But – do you know why Brutus wanted to hurt them? Why he killed two of the probands?"

Emily scuffed. Probands. She shook her head.

"You wanna know, right?"

Thomas did not wait for her answer: "Brutus and his friends were stung by a griever. The sting makes humans go crazy."

Emily finally lifted her suspicious glare from Clint, who was carefully unwrapping Newts bandages, and directed it at Thomas.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I want you to know that everything we do here is to do the right thing.", stated Thomas. "You need to realise that we're not bad people. And you belong to us."

Emily looked at Thomas. And without showing any sign of acknowledgement, she averted her gaze again and to the screen, where Newts back was now taken care of by Clint. The boy's already grey growing hair had red stripes in it because he kept putting a strand behind his ear which kept falling forward again. Newt hair was absolutely clean. He just laid there, unconscious. Maybe he just fell asleep without Emily noticing.

The girl looked closely at her friend. Maybe she didn't notice him falling asleep, but she did notice the difference in his motions since she had last seen him in front of her.

He was warier and always looking for some escape. She had watched him when he was in the maze with George. When Newt was alone in there, he looked at each wall, putting his hands against different places and pushing – as if there was a chance that he might just fall through. As if it was as easy as that.

"Are you alright?"

Emily jumped slightly. She looked up to meet Thomas eyes, only to see him already staring at her.

"What do you mean?", she asked. She couldn't say anything wrong now, or she would get put out of the computer room and never put in again.

"Just a few days ago you saw Charly, almost drowning in his own blood. You saw your best friend injured by some probands who were stung by a griever. And you want to tell me you're absolutely fine?", asked Thomas. He looked at her with a sudden look of anger in his eyes. Only now did Emily notice that Ava Paige was standing behind him, one hand on his shoulder.

Emily nodded.

"Please elaborate, Emily.", said Doctor Paige.

"Yes, I am absolutely fine", the young girl said while taking a deep breath. "I know I have to put myself together in order to be a fully functioning member of Wicked, despite having seen such horrors."

Paige smiled her creepy smile and turned around to speak to Aris. Thomas' sudden anger had vanished and was replaced by a suspicious glare as he took in Emily's way to put her hands back on the table.

The girl felt guilty. Having said what she was supposed to say sounded like she didn't care about Newt's injury.

She tried to steady her hands by putting them back on the table.

The whole affair was horrifying.

-

Dear Diary

I won't be writing anything soon. I think they somehow discovered you.

Yours truly,

Emily