¦eighth - when one kicks the bucket¦

Almost half a year had passed since Emily had last tucked the Diary safely under her mattress. She had kept her most precious friend there until all of the strange comments from Thomas, Aris, Rachel and Teresa had cooled down.

Now, she carefully got the familiar book out of its den.

Dear Diary

I don't know what to say. I don't know if there's still a point in writing to you. I don't even know why I'm still keeping you under my mattress.

You're not necessary anymore. Newt gave you to me to be my best friend when he's not around. He didn't mean for his absence to last forever.

He's dead.

I've seen it. He jumped off the wall. He didn't move.

He's dead.

Goodbye, Diary

Emily took a shuddering breath. And then she cried. Again. For over a week now, she was crying and crying and crying. Only in her room she felt save. Outside, the memories of him haunted her. She missed him so terribly much.

After she'd seen him jump and lie there on the floor, she was carried out of the room. She was a crying mess back then. Not able to form a coherent sentence. And definitely not able to move on her own. She'd gone limp in Teresa's arms.

Doctor Paige said she could never go back in the camera room. In her opinion, she wasn't able to process the things that were happening.

-

In the brightness and loneliness of her room, Emily developed a hate for the people of WCKD that went far beyond the borders of her room. The girl hated everyone and herself, because she was not fast enough to save her friends.

Now, there wasn't even a point anymore to save them. They would die before she could do anything. She didn't even have a plan anymore.