¦fifth - when some get killed¦

Emily's watering eyes stared down at the green book on her desk. It laid open. Awaiting her pen, her words, her sentences. The girl remembered the first sentences that were written in this book almost as if she had written them herself.

"Dear Emily, I give this to you, my all-time best friend, with the promise that I will always try to be there for you and help you in every way possible. But for when I'm not around, I hope this diary will represent my role well."

Almost thirty pages had already been filled with thoughts about her friends and impossible plans about getting them out of the maze.

For the first time, Emily hesitated before putting her hand down to write. But she needed to talk about what she saw. The green diary was her friend now. Maybe even more than Newt had meant it. It was her only left connection to her life before the boys got sent up. Newt had written the words so...carelessly. "My all-time best friend". He had meant her, of course, but Emily was thinking. Who was her best friend right now? Who was his?

Emily needed to talk to someone. And the diary was the one that was listening. She'd talk to it like a real person, maybe even give it a name. Winston, Emily immediately thought. Or Lizzy.

"No. I need to overthink this. The diary is not a person, Emily.", she said to herself.

Then, she put her elbow down on the table. The hand that was holding the pen was shaking.

Dear Diary – she wrote. And she realised that she really meant it.

I know you're not a real person. But I'm thinking about giving you a name.

God, what am I even talking about. The boys need help! Newt needs help. Everyone needs help and I'm not there to save them.

Teresa sent me to the computer room this morning. I got lucky to see the boys. Well, most of them. I should've done what Teresa said though. Stay at my desk and study. But I didn't.

At this point, a huge tear dropped and teared the word "study" apart.

I told you about the other guys in the woods, haven't I? They came for Oliver and Caesar. And they took them. I haven't seen what they did to them. But I heard their screams.

Emily lifted her eyes and looked at the white wall. The room could drive anyone mad. The beds were white, the walls were white, and the desks were, too. Even the bloody door knob was white.

Emily hoped that it wasn't so boring up there in the maze. Well, it couldn't, right? Not with those boys in the woods. The young girl feared that her friends were in great danger.