Chapter 4

You'd think today would be good for Brendon. He doesn't have to sit alone, he has a friend, things are going good. But that's where you're wrong.

He walked into the lunchroom and saw Dallon sitting at his lunch table. He quickly sat next to him. "They're gonna give you hell, you know? Anyone who hangs with me is in range of bullying. I don't want you to-" "I don't care what people say. It'll be okay." Brendon sighed, but nodded. He didn't want Dallon to ruin his own reputation, but he was stubborn. Very stubborn. Soon enough, the jocks and their gang showed up to the table. "Oh look, Urie has a friend." "I wouldn't get attached to him. He likes t-" Dallon banged on the table and stood up. The room was silent. "Fuck off, man." The jock looked confused. "Are you really standing up for a murderer?" Dallon looked down at Brendon who was looking away from the group at the table. He looked up at the jocks. "Just leave." The jock rolled his eyes. "Your funeral." The two boys didn't talk until the day was over.

As the last bell rang, Dallon ran outside to see if he could find Brendon. He saw him walking far away from the school. He started running to catch up with him while he was yelling his name. He finally caught up with him. "Why didn't you turn around?" The boy stayed quiet. He finally looked up. "I'm just gonna ruin your reputation. I don't want you to get bullied too." He had said this before, but he really meant it this time. Dallon couldn't help but ask the question that's been haunting his mind since lunch. "Why did they call you a murderer?" The silence was deadly. Brendon stopped in his tracks and turned red. "It's a long ways to my house. D-do you have time to walk there?" Dallon nodded and the boys started walking again. Brendon rubbed his face and tried to collect himself. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Dallon didn't want to pressure him into anything. "No it's okay. You might as well hear it from me."

—————————

Brendon couldn't believe he was about to tell someone he's barely known for a day his deepest secrets, but he felt like he could trust Dallon. It was something... familiar.

"I haven't always been hated by everyone. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't hated. It was just me and my best friend. His name was.. Ryan." Brendon could feel his face turn red. He hasn't said that name in years. "W-we did everything together. We ate lunch together, we had sleepovers, just normal stuff kids did. Then one day in 7th grade, everything changed." He felt his voice get shaky. "We had to walk home that day. He didn't live far from me, so we did that a lot. We stopped at a gas station to get a soda. I asked him to stay outside and watch my bike so no one would steal it. He didn't want to, but he did." Brendon took a deep breath. "I walked back outside, but I didn't see Ryan. I just saw my bike laying on the ground..." A tear ran down his cheek. "He was missing for three days! Three days before he-" He was crying now. He could feel Dallon put his hand on his shoulder. Brendon stopped and looked at the ground. "He was found in a field... stabbed, they say. They looked for months for the murderer but they couldn't find him.. I was a subject because I was the last one with him. The school thought that was hilarious. They thought that meant I killed him. I've been a freak ever since..." Dallon had tears in his eyes. Brendon looked up at Dallon and started to sob. It's my fault. It's my fault. It's my fault. Dallon tried to calm him down, but it wasn't working. He pulled the boy into a hug and let him cry. "It's not your fault, Brendon."

"It feels like it is.."

****************
A/N: I GOT FIRST PLACE IN MY SPEECH COMPETITION AGH