Chapter 7

Saturday, 11th December, 2011

Dear diary,                                                                                                                                                                       I'm 4 now. I counted the days until my birthday then I lost count.

I'm still on the run. I've got a plan for food and water now. There's a forest next to the feild that had a huge blackberry bush. If you keep walking in a strait line you come to a lake. It's beautiful. It has clear water that I drink from. 

I packed a blanket with my stuff. I sleep in the forest under a tree. Most of the clothes I packed are dirty. It gets quite cold at night, but I know I have to deal with it. It's better here than it was in any of those homes.

Earlier today the cover of a newspaper blew over in the wind. I read it and the headline was: Lost child, if found please bring to nearest police station ASAP. There was a picture of me underneath the headline. 

That's not good.

~Star~

Sunday, 12th December, 2011

Dear diary,                                                                                                                                                                 I was sitting in the forest today, just by the lake.  I heard singing, a farmiliar voice. It sounded like Dusk. I sat for a minute listening to the song. It sounded slow and the lyrics were kind of sad.

"Well I couldn't tell you, why she felt that way, she felt it everyday.

I couldn't help her, I just watched her make, the same mistakes agian.

What's wrong, what's wrong now, Too many, too many problems, don't know where she belongs, where she belongs.

She wants to go home, but no body's home, it's where she lies, broken inside.

No place to go, no place to go, to dry her eyes, broken inside." 

I walked up to her. "That's a nice song, you're a really good singer." I sat down next to her. "Thanks. It's Avril Lavigne. When I first heard it I could've sworn it was about me." She told me. 

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in care?" I asked.

"I was 8. My dad had cleared off and left us. My mum drunk, like, a lot. She kept going out and leaving me for days, sometimes weeks. One time, I waited almost a month and she never came back. I didn't know what to do because I had run out of food and money, So I packed a bag, set off to the childrens home, where I've been ever since." She said. 

"Why are you here?" I asked her. 

"I come here sometimes, for a break, to clear my head. But never mind me, what're you doing here?" She poked my rib and smiled.

"I ran away, it was hell there, seroiusly. I don't want to ever go back." I said plainly.

"Come on, we should go to the police station, it's not good for you to be living out here, it's dangerous." She told me.

"No, they'll make me go back, I can't go back." I argued. 

"Don't worry, i won't let them take you back, I can be very persausive." She got up and held out her hand. I took it and we walked for a bit. She led me to a bus stop and we waited. Moments later a bus pulled up and Dusk led me on. She payed the fare and led me to a seat right at the back.

When we got there they talked to me for a bit. They told me I had to go back.

"No, I don't want..." I was cut off by Dusk. "She can't go back! They beat her and were horrible! I'm surprised the place isn't closed down yet. I went to visit and they beat her right in front of my very eyes! They did that!" She pointed to a cut on my face I actually got from a tree branch I walked into.

"I suppose it's possible we can find another place for her."

~Star~

Monday, 13th December, 2011

Dear diary,                                                                                                                                                                Well, I've moved into a new house. This one's different to the other ones. It's just one woman who specialises in children ages 3-7. She has 4 other kids apart from me. Elektra (6), Diamond (5), Pheonix (7) and Chase (3).

We all have our own bedrooms and we're looked after by just one woman, instead of lots of care workers, which is better. Her names Auntie Rosa and she's really nice.

~Star~