· ten ·

Fast

Before I could comprehend the situation, we were at the hospital. You were rushed to the emergency room while your father and I waited. Your father was calm. He was sad. I could tell. But he wasn't crying and begging for you to be okay, like me.

Something wasn't right.

But all I wanted was for you to be okay.

Did this sudden illness have to do with your previous fevers? I didn't know.

Suddenly, a doctor emerged.

"You may say your goodbyes," the doctor whispered before heading back inside. I gulped. Goodbyes? What did he mean? I was scared.

My heart pounded like never before.

Your father went in first. He came out in tears. My heart sank as I padded in.

You looked so weak and frail. I burst into tears. You hugged me for the last time. You wiped my tears away and placed an envelope in my hands before looking back at me.

All our wonderful memories whizzed past my brain. I could tell something bad was happening. I just didn't know what.

"Kookie, please smile for me one last time," you said softly. I didn't know why everyone was using the phrase 'last time', but I smiled for you anyways.

It was a bunny smile.

You offered me the strongest smile you could muster.

"I love you Kookie. Please, keep your bunny smile. I love you," I said.

"I love you too. But I don't understand. What's happening?" I whimpered as more tears streamed.

Suddenly, the doctor came and ushered me out. I screamed at him to let me go. I desperately tried to run back to you. I didn't understand what was happening. Why wouldn't they let me near you?

You whispered 'I love you' one last time...

Before you were out of my sight.

With trembling hands, I opened your envelope.