Chapter 33

3 weeks later

(Dinah and Mo are dating)

Austin was still in a coma. Everyday was somber for Camila and the others. But they stuck together. Every morning they'd pray separately for Austin. Every night they'd pray together for Austin when they'd visit him. They'd all stay for an hour after his parents. Except Camila and Alex. Alex would get there 30 minutes early so he could catch Austin up on current events as should a best friend do. But Camila, she stayed with Austin after everyone left. It was her time alone with him. It was her time to apologize for everything. To tell him about her day. To tell him whatever she wanted... So on this particular day, after everyone left, Camila did something she's always wanted to. She brought a chair closer to his bed and sat down.

"Hey Austin. Todays been pretty interesting. I had my classes and at Lunch Dinah and Mo did a couples prank. They pranked the cheer leaders. It was pretty funny too. They told them they're equipment was in the trash and they got up to check, but they slipped on the greased floor and fell into the trash. It sounds mean but they so deserved it. They made fun of Lolo! But yeah, thats what happened. Oh and today, after school, someone asked me out," Camila said.

When she finished that last sentence the room got cold.

"Brrr. It got cold. Anyway, I said no of course," Camila said before she sighed, "This guy who asked me out was one of the basketball jocks, he was shocked when I said no. He got mad... I got scared. But it didn't matter because I know when you wake up I only want to be with you. I only want to love you," she confessed as she intertwined her hand with Austin's.

She squeezed his hand a little not expecting anything to happen, but as she squeezed his hand she felt Austin squeeze back. At first she thought she was dreaming. Camila looked at her hand and saw it was anything but a dream.

"Nurse! Nurse!" She screamed.

A nurse came running in, "What?! What is it?!"

"He's squeezing my hand! Is that good?" She asked.

The nurse looked at Camila skeptically. She walked closer and saw Camila was telling the truth.

"I'll go get the doctor," the nurse said as she ran out the door.

A few minutes later the doctor walked in and grabbed Austin's clipboard and examined. Then he looked at their hands.

"Well I can't really do anything right now, but I can tell you that Austin looks like he's well onto the road of recovery. And I'm sure your visits are helping. If you and your friends keep coming I'm sure he'll recover faster," the Doctor said reassuringly.

It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to make Camila smile the biggest smile in her life. She continued to hold Austins hand. Additonally she stroked his hair.

"Austin, everythings gonna be ok! You're gonna be ok!" Camila said as she stroked his hair and kissed his forehead.