Part 6

Grayson's POV

I hadn't seen Ethan since he went to the bathroom, so that's where I was heading. I was pretty sure that the fire was on the other side of the building so hopefully I would make it to Ethan before it spread. However I could still smell the smoke, burning my lungs.

Ethan's POV

I tried multiple times to gather enough strength and get up but after a while I gave up. There was no way of getting out of here. The alarm was still echoing around the bathroom and the smell of smoke had started to grow stronger. Making me aware that this was not a practice, it was real. I tried to keep my eyes open but the pain was taking over. Then I heard the door slam against the door wall, revealing a shocked Grayson.

Grayson's POV

I burst through the door and was astonished to see Ethan laying of the ground, covered in blood and bruises. I froze for a few seconds then remembered we needed to get out and Ethan desperately needed a doctor. I was curious as to what had happened to him but getting out was my main priority.
"I'm gonna get you out of here, I promise," I whispered picking him up as he clearly couldn't walk.
He winced in pain as I lifted his legs, carrying him bridal style searching for the closest exit.
"I'm so so sorry E, I should have came with you. I could have helped you," I kept saying, guilt rushing through my veins.
"It's not your fault, Grayson," he could barely talk but managed to give me slight reassuring smile. We were centimetres away from the door, when there was a huge bang from behind us. I glanced back, some of the ceiling had fell down. I grabbed the door handle and ran out, laying Ethan down on the field. Teachers came rushing over to us and called an ambulance. The principal ran over and looked at Ethan (who was now unconscious)then at me and finally spoke.
"What happened to him?" He asked.
"I-I'm not sure but he was just laying in the floor in the bathroom when I found him," I replied, shaking in fear of what had happened.
"Grayson I know you wanted to help your brother, but you running inside a burning building could have resulted in you being seriously injured. Although I am glad you and your brother are out of there now and safe," he said, smiling at me then returning to the rest of the staff explaining what had happened.

When the ambulance finally arrived, they lifted Ethan onto a stretcher and took him into the van, where I rode to the hospital with him. The paramedic asked me all of Ethan's details then followed by asking what had happened to him. I told him what I knew, which was not a lot, still curious to who had the audacity to hurt my Ethan. When we got to the hospital, they rushed Ethan through some double doors, which I knew I was not allowed to go through.
"You can wait in here, we will call you when we're done," a nurse told me.
I nodded and sat down. Within seconds, I burst into tears (getting the occasional worried look from people around me) but I didn't care. I was so scared of what was going to happen to Ethan. An hour passed and I was still waiting.
"Family of Ethan Dolan?" A doctor called.
"Your brother has a broken nose and rib. He will be quite tired as he has lost a lot of blood, but he will be okay. He is in room 259 if you want to go see him,"
I ran up the stairs to the second floor, then found room 259. I opened the door and saw Ethan laying there in a hospital gown. My heart stopped, I hated the thought of someone touching him.
"Hey Gray," Ethan smile, sadly.
"Ethan who did this too you?" I demanded.
"No one Gray, I'm fine now that's all that matters," he was trying to keep it from me. Probably because he knows that I will kill the person who did it.
"Ethan, I'm serious. Tell me who did this!" I requested.
"Grayson, just leave it. Have you told mam and dad I'm here," he was trying to change the subject, but shit. I was so worried, I forgot to call them.
"Don't change the subject. I'll tell them once you tell me who did this. I love you, E and it hurts me to see you like this. Just please, please tell me," I said calmly.
"I wish I could, I really do but if I do they'll just do worse,"
"Ethan I won't tell anyone, I just need to know. Don't you trust me?,"
"Of course I do! It's just... I know what you're like. You go all 'protective brother' and it will only make it worse," he confessed.
"I won't Ethan, I promise. You can tell me,"
"Fine. It was- it was Nate," he looked down as a tear slipped from his eye.
"Why did he do this? Is it the first time?" I was so surprised. Nate has been my best friend since we were 3. I can't believe he would do this. I noticed another tear trickle down Ethan's cheek and then another and another. I pulled him into a hug but not so tight that it would hurt him.
"He's done this before, hasn't he?" I asked already knowing the answer from Ethan's tears. He nodded.
"Ethan, why didn't you tell me? I could have stopped him, we could have told someone," I said softly.
"H-he said that I-if I told anyone he'd k-kill me. I-I was so scared," he continued to cry into my shoulder.
"Why was he doing this?"
"He said that I stole you from him and everyday I kept you away from him, I'd pay," he admitted.
"Oh god Ethan I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I should have talked to him when you asked me too,"
"Gray, please don't blame yourself,"
" I'm gonna call mam and dad, okay. I'll get some snacks from the vending machine for us seeing as we're both staying here tonight," I walked out of the room.
I told my parents and they both said they were stuck at work but would come to the hospital tomorrow. I got the snacks and went back into the room and put them on the bed.
"Come here," Ethan laughed, patting the space on the bed next to him. He lifted the blankets for me to climb under, when I seen something. Big scars from Ethan's thigh down to his ankle.
"Ethan, what are they?"

Thanks for reading chapter 6. 1145 words. Xx