Chapter 3: "Don't Let Me Die." [Peroxide/ Nightwing/ Red Hood]

A few weeks had passed since the bank fire and Gotham's villains had seemingly disappeared for a while. For Peroxide, this meant she could focus on keeping civilians safe from mediocre criminals. For Nightwing and his crew, things were somewhat boring. Whilst Nightwing and Red Robin 'assisted' Peroxide in her duties, Red Hood was getting irritable. He wanted more action and Batman was unwilling to let him go to Star City or Metropolis to find it.

This particular evening however, he decided that he'd stop complaining and go out with Nightwing instead of Red Robin. Nightwing wouldn't stop talking about the blonde vigilante and he wanted to see what the fuss was about.

"I swear you said we're not meant to be helping her." Red Hood said as both he and Nightwing stood on the rooftop opposite the mall.

"We're not 'helping', we're just 'lessening the load'." Came the reply. Red Hood rolled his eyes behind his helmet.

"You've got the biggest crush on this girl. And you've got an even bigger crush on that new lass Thea at the centre." He paused. "You've got a c-r-u-s-h!" He laughed as he taunted his partner.

Nightwing's cheeks flushed a faint red. "So what if I do? They're both great."

Even with Nightwing seeing Peroxide most nights in passing and his civilian counterpart seeing 'the new lass' Thea everyday at the Meta Centre, the connection between the two blonde girls hadn't clicked yet. The conversation couldn't continue as Peroxide landed behind them on the roof.

"Evening boys." She looked at Red Hood. "You finally decided to join in, Red Hood?" She smirked and Nightwing had to stifle a laugh.

"What's it to you, Blondie?" Red Hood huffed.

"You've been missing out on all the fun. If you're looking for action, rumour has it that there's some kind of drug or weapons exchange going down at the docks. I intend on going to investigate and stop whatever's going on. And I am inviting the both of you to join should you wish." She paused as Nightwing opened his mouth to say something. "And as it's an invitation, you boys aren't breaking Batman's silly rules. But I don't mind if you choose to stay in the city."

There was silence as the men debated.

"Might sit this one out. Don't want to intrude on your realm too much." Nightwing said. Red Hood looked at him and Nightwing knew he was raising both his eyebrows underneath that helmet.

"I'll pass. Thanks though." Red Hood replied.

"Your loss, boys." Peroxide shrugged. She turned to launch off the side.

"Peroxide?" Nightwing spoke just before she took off. She turned back to face them.

"Yes, Blue Bird?" A nickname she had come up with a few days ago.

"Be careful, alright? Radio me if you need backup."

"It's just a drug bust. I'll be fine." But, she took the radio he had given her out of her belt and put it in her ear. "Gotta go, duty calls." With that, she stepped backwards off the side of the building, before flying up to the building opposite using her grapple. Even Red Hood's breath faltered for a moment as she fell, then rectified itself as she came back up.

"Does she do that a lot?"

"Literally every time I see her. Nearly shit myself the first time."

"She's definitely not scared of anything."

"So it would seem."

"Why did you just pass up a chance to spend time with her?"

"I'm being professional, bro."