Chapter Eleven: Surprises

Four months later, I woke up with a smile on my face. Today was finally the day I had waited for for too many years. I checked my phone, which was laying on my nightstand, and saw I had six new text messages.

     To: Jessica, From: Em Xx :) - happy birthday! i cant wait to see you, i have a big surprise! x :)

     To: Jessica, From: Harry :P - happy 18! see u 2nite! x

     To Jessica, From: Liammmm - happy bday, love! cant wait to see you later to celebrate xx

     To Jessica, From: Lou - HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS C U LATER YAYYYY

     To Jessica, From: Zayn :3 - happy birthday jessica, DJ Malik is getting ready 2 partyyy! x

    To Jessica, From: Niall - happy birthday babe ! be there to pick u up at 10 !

With a big smile on my face, I glanced around my room and made sure I had packed everything I owned in my two giant suitcases. That's right -- I was now 18, and I'm moving out! Too bad my stepfamily didn't know that yet...

So, get out, get out, get outta my head! And fall into my arms inst-- I quickly answered my phone, reminding myself that I would have to change my ringtone soon, considering I would be on tour with the guys in two days.

          "Hey Jess! I'll be over in five, so get ready to leave! Are you sure you want to do this?" Niall's adorable Irish accent rang from the other end.

               "Are you kidding? I've been waiting for years! Of course! Let me just deal with my stepmother, and then I'll never have to see them again. Best birthday present ever."

          "Okay, see you soon. Good luck!" he chuckled.

I grabbed both of my bags (which both had wheels, thank god, they were so heavy!) and rolled them towards the front door. I decided to just leave without getting noticed.

          "And where do you think you're going?" Busted.

I turned around to see my stepmother at the top of the staircase, hand on her hip, her eyes on me.

          "I'm eighteen now, and I'm leaving. Bye." I said simply, and just walked through the door.

She looked stunned, and as I shut the door I heard her shout, "HAVE FUN ON THE STREETS, YOU---!" but luckily, the door blocked the noise as she used some very colorful vocabulary.

I quickly rolled my suitcases down the driveway and Niall pulled up in his car, hopping out and taking my bags. He threw them in the trunk and I climbed inside the vehicle. He joined me a second later, smiling and with slightly red cheeks from the cold London air.

          "Hey babe."

               "Just drive," I giggled, and he obeyed.

We eventually pulled up to a nice looking building, and Niall and I got out of the car. He lifted my bags out of the trunk and then locked the car.

          "Thanks, I got it," I said and tried to grab my stuff from him.

               "Nope! No weight for the birthday girl!" he said as he raced off with all of my luggage, leaving me behind to chase after him into the tall building.

I looked around the lobby but couldn't spot Niall, so I headed toward the elevators and pushed the silver button, which in turn lit up. I stared at the metal doors, waiting for them to open, and then I felt someone breathing on my neck.