Chapter Twenty-Three: Flashbacks

"Jess, open up. I know you're in there." Emily's voice came from outside as she banged on the front door of my flat. 

I groaned and left the comfort of my bed to open it, and when I did she threw her arms around me in a hug.

"I swear, I don't see you for five days and I miss everything. I know that the boys are recording with you, but what else is going on? Zayn told me you called in sick today." She pressed the back of her hand to my forehead. "You feel fine. Is this about Niall?" 

I rolled my eyes at the mention of his name. "So...is it? What happened with you guys?" Em pressed.

I walked into my flat and plopped down on the couch in my small living room, where Emily joined me. "Nothing, but everything. He didn't even have to do anything to break me down. It's like," I struggled for a good way to phrase my feelings. "When I'm with him, I can be myself. I don't have to hide, and I can show up with no makeup and know that he likes me for me, but I still try to impress him." I rambled, glancing down at my finger where the ring he had given me still rested.

In all this time, I had never taken it off. I just twisted it around so the infinity sign was hidden, showing only a silver band to the rest of the world.

"So, you still love him?" She guessed.

"I don't know. I wish I didn't. But if I love him, then why am I so sad about losing Jack? No way it's possible to love both of them." I shook my head. "No, no, no. I don't want to think about this. How have you been?" I attempted to change the subject.

"I live a boring life, nothing worth sharing. If you don't want to talk about your love life, at least share something else. How's work? Having fun at the studio?"

"Yeah. Earlier this week the boys secretly recorded me singing and sent it to Simon." I rolled my eyes, containing my smile.

Emily gasped. "Wait. Simon, as in Simon Cowell?"

"Yeah." I giggled. "He called me and left a message, so I called him back and set an appointment for Friday. Who knows what could happen? He wants me to record a demo."

"Why couldn't your dad have done this years ago?" She asked.

"Em, you know he's never around. He probably doesn't even know I sing." I reasoned. "Besides, I don't think he can sign his own daughter. It would look bad, like he's picking favorites or something."

She nodded. "I guess. Wait a second, did you say your meeting was Friday?"

"Yeah, Friday at two. Why?"

"Jess," She said standing up and running to my closet. "Today is Friday."

"WHAT?" I screamed, glancing at the clock on the wall, which read 12:58. My senses kicked in as clothes flew out of my closet, obviously being rejected by Emily.

I ran to my bathroom and quickly brushed my hair. I applied minimal makeup, just enough to look approachable. Just as I was leaving, Emily showed up in front of me with an outfit in hand. "Put this on! Quick!"

I trusted her fashion choice, and threw the clothes on without even looking at what I was wearing. "I'll drive you. Let's go!" She said, yanking my arm to get me out of the flat.

We got in the car, and I could feel my nerves start to kick in. I guess Emily could tell, so she slipped in a CD with a smile. "For old times," she explained, as the first song came on: What Makes You Beautiful.

We started to sing at the top of our lungs, and it reminded me of the last time we did this-- when she was driving me to the party. Before Niall, before everything. How we immediately bonded over Nando's, and had so much in common. There was a strong connection from the beginning, and he must have felt it too, because he tried so hard to find me. Would Jack have tried to find me? A part of me says he wouldn't have, he would have just moved on. 

I feel the car stop just as Niall's solo in One Thing comes on. "Now I'm climbing the walls, but you don't notice at all, that I'm going out of my mind, all day and all night." I sing along with his voice, and then get out of the car. "Thanks for taking me, Em. And for coming to check on me." I said with a smile.

"Any time. It's what best friends are for." She shrugged with a smile. "Now go rock Simon's socks off!"

I nodded and laughed, then waved goodbye as she drove away. Turning toward the Syco building, I took a deep breath and then walked in. A lady at the front desk directed me towards the elevator, and I pushed the button that she told me to.

Faint elevator music played in the background, and after a second I realized it was What Makes You Beautiful. I laughed to myself, realizing how much Simon liked the boys. Looking down, I noticed the sparkle of the silver band on my finger.

Maybe one day soon I'll turn it around, I thought as the elevator doors opened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY! AN UPDATE! WOOHOO!

I'm so sorry it took so long! You have no idea, I feel so bad! I've just been so busy with school, and I've had writer's block. Please don't hate me! 

But anyways, let me know what you think! Comment, vote, or fan! (Especially comment, I love reading them!) Thank you guys so much for reading! xx