CHAPTER EIGHT: CHAMPAGNE WITH THE DEVIL

I Stared at the man dressed in a crisp royal blue suit. He sat alone at the table, eating his dinner with a bottle of champagne. He had two scars on his right cheek and he wore a custom Rolex watch with a skull design. I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this was Carmen's nemesis in the drug business, Mr. Versace.

Clyde had gone on a date with Carmen a few days after our conversation. My husband is a charmer so I knew it would take one date for her to trust him and tell him everything about the underground drug business and who the players in the game are. Even though this was my plan, the idea of my husband being in the presence of another woman romantically made me nervous. I had drink myself into a slump in order to pass out and not think about it. The following morning I woke up and he was not next to me, and even though my fears were trying to control me I knew the plan was bigger than my jealousy.

I grabbed my phone and fortunately there was a message from Clyde

Hey hunny, I got all the information you wanted. Her competition is a very powerful but dangerous man called Mr. Versace. He's going to be at the restaurant he owns called El Palvo on 5th street tomorrow night for a meeting with Carmen at 9 pm. Maybe you can go there before she arrives and recognize him so that we can plan our next move. Oh and I'm at a hotel, I was worried after my meet up with Carmen she would have someone follow me.

Good thinking, but there was no time for planning the next move. I needed to meet up with Mr. Versace tonight and implement the second phase of my plan.

So there I was eyeing him from the bar and drinking vodka waiting for the perfect moment. He finished his dinner and was sitting in a slumped relaxed position, the opportunity was now.

I walked up to him and his bodyguards started walking towards me and I knew had less than two seconds to grab his attention.

"Carmen needs to go and I can help you."

Mr. Versace turned around, gave me a quick scan and gestured for me to sit down. His bodyguards relaxed and went back to their posts.

"And you are..."'

"Diana."

"Diana. You must be either very brave or very..."

"Stupid? I'm neither. Mr. Versace before you underestimate me, let me tell you something. I'm a woman who has been wronged, manipulated and just straight out made a fool by this Carmen woman. She has threatened to have me killed because I have something she wants. And Mr. Versace, nobody takes anything away from me. I don't care what it takes and you seem like a man who can read people, do I seem like I am here to waste your time?"

"No... no you don't. You are definitely not in the same ... ummm...industry. But you know what else I picked up about you that I notice about people."

''What?'"

" You've seen death, probably directly. I won't ask you how, but just know it's the real reason why I believe you will be an asset. So I'm willing to hear your proposal, but you must know I have meeting in thirty minutes with Carmen."

"I know. I only need 10 minutes. So how easily can you access untraceable poison?''