Chapter 14: Shadows

Bathory

Gold held the door open for me, letting me walk inside before him. The chandelier cast a warm glow in the room, one that didn't hurt my eyes as much as the fluorescents in the classroom. Gold seemed to notice and gave me a gentle nudge.

"I talked to Clockwork this morning," he smiled, "she might drop by later with something for you."

"Oh, thank you," I smiled, "just let me run up to my room, the game room is on the next floor, right?"

"Yes ma'am, and I'll show you something that will get you up floors faster. You look small enough to fit." He smiled, leading me to the room on the left. He opened a set of double doors that led to a kitchen with a large table set in the middle. There were at least thirty chairs, probably more. Sally was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at one of them, a large teddy bear set in the chair next to her. She waved at me and I waved back.

I was led towards the actual kitchen, where there was what looked to be a square panel cut into the wall with a sliding wooden cover. Gold lifted it up, revealing a dumbwaiter. He was right, too: I was just about the perfect size.

"Slendy says this is for food in case people are sick, but everyone just tends to use it for fun." He chuckled.

"Well, who wouldn't?" I laughed, climbing in. There was enough room for me to sit crisscross and barely have to lean forward. "How do I get up?"

"There's buttons outside the thing, you just press whatever floor you want to go to. There's five plus the ground floor and a basement."

"Okay, cool," I grinned as he hit the third floor button, closing the door over me. I sat and hummed quietly as I was pulled upward, eventually slowing to a stop. The door had an indent for me to grab and lift up on and I climbed out as easily as I got in; my room was a only a few doors down and I watched as my shadow detached itself and wandered away somewhere else. Maven could explore as much as she wanted.

I dropped off my backpack in my room, ditching my sweatshirt for a tank top before pulling my mask up over my lips again. Grinny mewled on the other side of the door and I held it open, letting him out to wander the halls while I tugged the hoodie back on. Slender had a polished oak banister on the staircase that was smooth the whole way and out of reckless curiosity I took a seat with my legs dangling over the other side; I had a tendency to fall backwards when I fell, so falling into the stairs was better than to my death.

I pushed off, feeling my weight pull me farther and faster down the rail. I was grinning when I realized it was actually working. The railing curved and I looked farther down, seeing someone in the hallway; I glared when I realized it was Jeff and that he was on the floor I wanted to land on. What's better than arriving in style? Arriving in style and completely dodging your enemy to the best of your ability.

"What the-!"

The second I tried to jump off my foot caught on the floor, my converse having plenty more traction than my boots. The word 'shit' passed through my mind about a hundred times as I barreled right into the boy, knocking him flat on his ass as I landed on top of him. His hand was in his pocket as the other was on my waist while both of my hands were firmly planted on either side of his head. So much for arriving in style and dodging.

"You're that fucking new kid, aren't you?"

In that second I jumped a good three feet backwards, rolling back to my feet in a surprising amount of stability I had no clue I possessed. In all truth I was terrified he was about to lunge at me; Jeff took a few more seconds to get to his feet and I shoved my hands in my pockets as I walked past him. He stopped me, making me turn to look at him and I could see that his eyes were blue, like turquoise. It was almost infuriating that such pretty eyes were owned by such a horrid person.