Chapter 62: New blood

Slenderman

It was approaching the fourth day of Bathory's absence and I was slowly beginning to fear that the worst may happen while Zalgo had her in his grasp. He had ways of making people cooperate.

Instead of sitting there and worrying instead I poured over the book that Clockwork and Toby had retrieved, the ancient language one I knew well as I scoured the pages for anything that could help. It mostly spoke about prophecies and how to vanquish demonic entities, ones more powerful than anything a normal mortal may lay eyes upon. There was a knock on the study door and I realized how late it was when I saw the clock, watching as Clockwork slipped in through the door and closed it gently behind her.

"Are you alright my child?" I asked her, her eyes on the floor as she wandered towards me.

"I can't sleep," she admitted, "no one else really can either, but I'm tired of pretending like I can. I just need something to read."

"I believe Kagekao returned not too long ago with some new books," I told her, watching her smile slightly as she finally lifted her head up to look at me. I turned back to the book as she disappeared, turning the page only to realize that there were more missing pages.

Damn you, Zalgo, I thought as I let out a sigh. This book had obviously been in someone else's grasp before it came to mine, but just as I was readying myself to toss it in the trash I remembered a key item that Laughing Jack had bright to me earlier in the week.

"These were in Italy," he told me as he handed over a stack of folded papers, "I can't read them, but I know you know just about every language out there, so I figured you may be able to."

I reached around as I stood up, finding the small stack atop one of the shelves before I sat back down with them. There were coordinates to what appeared to be Bathory's hometown, and a topographical map of...the jungle? It was in Portuguese, a language I did know well, and it was old. I had a creeping suspicion about it when I was distracted by a slightly yellowed paper, one with dark red ink that was written with an ancient pen. Instantly I pulled the book over again and realized quickly that it was one of the missing pages, unfolding it and matching it to one of the tears in the spine. There was an image of a very familiar weapon on its surface and for once I had the smallest spark of hope that I might've found the missing piece I needed.

"Slender?" There was another knock at the door, followed shortly by Rouge poking her head in and looking very alarmed, "uh...we have a visitor."

"A visitor?" I asked, getting to my feet after I closed the book. She let the door swing inward and I was greeted with Nina's pale face, looking somber and very conflicted. I nodded for Rouge to let her in and both the girls stood by the door as it closed behind them.

"She...walked right up to me," Rouge admitted, "said she wanted to see you."

"How may I be of assistance, child?" I asked her, watching as she shoved her hands in her pockets and pursed her lips in thought.

"I'd like to...to take you up on your offer," she sighed, her shoulders drooping, "you were right."

I let out a soft 'oh', knowing what she'd meant. I knelt down and pulled her into a hug, listening to her sniffle quietly before she pulled away. Suddenly I heard the wood creak behind me and I turned to see Clockwork standing there, a comic book in her hands while her one good eye was wide with recognition.

"Nina...?" She whispered, "are you coming home?"

"I think so," she nodded slowly, letting out a quiet yelp as Clockwork wrapped her arms around the girl and squeezed her tightly.