Chapter 40: Home sweet home

Bathory

My eyes blinked open and I looked around me, realizing I was still in the infirmary as my head pounded; my eyes narrowed and I had a nasty grimace on my face when I saw Jeff sitting beside me, worry in every feature. His foot was doing a mad dance on the hardwood and I reached out, gripping his jacket tight enough to catch his attention.

"Keep tapping your foot and I'm going to rip it off," I growled pathetically, "how the hell am I still alive?"

"Blood transfusion," he nodded to my arm and I looked over, seeing an IV attached to my skin. The scent of the blood hit me suddenly and I gagged, my hunger tearing at my insides like crazy.

"Who's blood is that?!" I screeched, pulling my mask back up to cover the scent.

"Mine," he admitted, and I relaxed, looking at him gratefully, "the moment human blood got into your system you started to absorb what had bled out in your abdomen, or so Maven says."

"You're as good as new, Batty," she distracted me as she took a seat on the end of my bed, "can't say the same about Kate though."

"Did she...?"

"She didn't make it," Jeff shook his head, "Rouge said Jane stabbed her. What happened after that?"

"Jane took off and I followed, she was going to Percy's but Seedeater got there first-!" I bolted upright, realizing we had an extra guest at the house as I ripped out my IV; the extra blood dripped and I tied off the tubing before I threw myself off of the bed, making it to the door before Jeff caught up with me.

"She's in the kitchen with Sally and Rouge," he stopped me, "kids real shaken up right now, don't go in there guns blazing."

"She's my best friend Jeff," I huffed, "it's my fault she's even here."

He nodded, opening the door for me and following slowly behind as I crossed the foyer and made it to the door; I hesitated slightly, knowing I'd just disappeared on her. It might have only been a couple weeks but I'm sure it was enough to freak her out, I know I would've been. Still though I took a deep breath and pushed through the doors, watching as the heads at the table turned towards me. There she was, with a cup of coffee in her hands and bags under her eyes like I hadn't seen in years.

"You...you saved us last night," she stood up suddenly, reserved, but curious, "thank you."

They didn't tell her.

"What's your name?"

I just laughed, catching her by surprise as I pulled my goggles off of my head, "is it really that hard to recognize me with these things on?"

Her eyes widened as I took the mask off, dropping them both at the end of the table as I walked towards her; there was tension, but it melted away the moment she lunged forward and wrapped her arms around me. I gripped Persephone as tightly as I could while she cried, tears slipping down my own cheeks as I clutched her tightly against me.

"I never wanted to leave you," I sobbed, "but they found me and they said they'd do anything to get me to go with them. They were going to hurt you and I couldn't let them."

"It's okay Batty, it's okay," she wheezed, "I missed you so much. No one knew what happened to you, you just up and disappeared after break."

"You should've seen me Christmas Eve, I was even worse than I was last night," I laughed, pulling back to get a better look at her, "I'm so sorry you had to see all of that."

"Still not as bad as when you fell out of the tree in your backyard and everyone thought you were dead," Persephone laughed through her tears, a big smile on her face, "oh, Batty, what am I going to do with you?"