Chapter 30: Worth it

Bathory

The sun was just rising over the trees outside, casting the smallest amount of light into the room as I sat on the edge of Owen's bed, my fingers tangled in his hair as I ran my thumb across his forehead. He was sleeping soundly while I hadn't slept a wink.

I was probably in a lot of trouble back at the mansion but I didn't care. This was the last thing I had to do before I could leave, the last thing that really mattered to me. I grabbed my jeans from the floor and stepped into them before I kissed his lips again, light enough as not to disturb him but enough to put a smile on his face. I was doing my best not to cry again as I pried the window open, finding Maven outside on the roof as she watched the sunrise. We traded equal looks of solemnity before climbing back down to the ground, strapping my goggles on and walking into the woods.

"Was it worth it?" She asked, "not the sex, but giving him a proper goodbye?"

"If I hadn't he would've been searching for me for years," I told her, "now at least he might be able to move on with some small amount of closure. Live a normal life with everyone else."

She nodded, understanding every bit; soon enough the temperature changed and I realized it was still dark here, dark enough to slip in through the front doors unseen. Or, so I thought, until I saw a figure on the stairs move and make me freeze to the spot.

"Batty?" Jeff's voice echoed quietly and I huffed, knowing I was busted.

"Yeah, it's me," I whispered, "I was hoping you'd all be sleeping."

"Where did you go?" He rushed down the steps, grabbing my shoulders gently as he looked me over, "you're not hurt, are you?"

"No," I shook my head, brushing him off as I choked back more tears, "I stayed the night at my boyfriend's house, I hadn't meant to."

"Wait, you have a boyfriend?" I almost heard the panic in his voice but he did a good job of covering it.

"Not anymore."

I backed out of his grip before I walked over to the staircase, taking them all the way up to the third floor and slowly wandering towards my room, the utter despair I felt making me even more exhausted than I had been before. Maven sat on my bed as I climbed into the sheets, my stomach growling with a hunger for human flesh I didn't quite want to quash yet.

"Think you'll be okay?" She asked as she played with my hair.

"I don't know."

Jeff

I took a swig from a redbull as I watched Ben and Sonic play a video game I didn't know, utter boredom taking over me but the tiredness I felt not even enough to put a dent in it. I couldn't sleep, I didn't really want to; all my dreams were filled with blood and I wanted to wait until Bathory was feeling okay again to go back out on another spree with her.

"Think Bat might still be awake?" I asked out of general curiosity.

"Why, so you can go sneak into bed with her?" Ben teased and I whipped my can at his head. "Hey!"

"Honestly she might be, I know she slept for a while after this morning," Gold added, slouched in a beanbag chair beside me, "is there something going on between you two?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that?" I gawked. "No, there is nothing going on between us!"

"Hey, the only reason we keep saying it is because we can tell how much you like her," Ben turned around, pointing a finger at me, "she's planning on staying at the mansion from now on, I think. Doesn't want to get her friends into trouble."