chapter one- she's right there.

I'm hovering in the corner of the white padded room at Mount Summers Mental hospital. The girl is kicking her legs furiously in her seat, her arms fastened to the arm rests.

" I'm not sick! Please!" She sobs. Her eyes flick over to me and her mouth falls open. She stops kicking and raises a finger, her wrists still fastened down.

"She's right there." She yells. "She's right there! She's right there! RIGHT THERE!" Her voice dies off as i look down and try not to make a sound. I look up after a few seconds to see a worker yank a needle out of her pale upper arm. Her head has flopped to the side and mouth slack.

Once the nurses peer at the spot where I was hovering for a while and shake their heads, they leave the room and slam the door shut.

I  float over to where she is sleeping and bend down to kiss her head. She can't feel it, but she'll know its there.
•••
It's been three days since the girl was sedated, and she still hasn't woken.  She's barely moved, but she doesn't move around in her sleep much usually. Every now and then the people in white coats come in, and sit beside her. I try incredibly hard to be silent but when they wheel her out of the dark room and back with a white eye mask, I worry. I scream and kick at the walls, but no one can hear, or see it.

The only person who can see me is the girl. When I gravitate by mirrors, I can see myself but  no one else can. I wear the same clothes and the same hairstyle. Blank jeans that have always been tight on me and my brown curls pushed back into a scraggly high ponytail. I don't know if I have always been a spirit, or I could've been like the girl. A human.

I know she'll never forget me, at least her heart wont. But her brain might.