Twelve

Ronald called not long after they had dinner that he would be a little bit late today so Raina tucked the girls to bed alone.

As usual, she was sitting in the middle of the girls' bed, her head against the headboard, reading them a bedtime story.

Raina turned to her left and saw that Adrie was fast asleep. She turned to her right and saw that Alexa was feeling sleepy as she kept on rubbing the back of her palm against her eyes.

A question popped into Raina's head so she thought of asking Alexa about it.

"Alexa darling" she called.

"Yes." The little girl answered in her sleepy voice.

"Why did you introduce Adrie as your sister to everyone?"

Everything was silent for a while until Alexa sat up and faced Raina.

"Are you mad at me for doing that?" The little girl asked.

"No honey. I'm not mad at you. I'm just curious to know why" Raina said as she stroked the little girl's light brown hair.

"It's because I love Adrie so much and I want her to be my baby sister. I've always wanted a sister to play with and then Daddy introduced Adrie to me."

"I want us to be a family, Raina. Will you marry my Daddy so that you can be my mommy?. Please " The little girl pleaded.

Raina was beyond shocked. She didn't know what to say to Alexa. She wondered how a six-year-old knew what marriage meant.

"It's okay Sweetheart, go to bed. I'll think about it." Raina finally said and she kissed Alexa on her forehead.

............................

"And what was your reply?" Ronald asked with a huge smile on his face.

He came back from work a while ago and now they were having some alone time. But this time around, they were on the balcony. They were seated on different chairs beside each other and the weather was cool.

Raina had filled Ronald in with what she discussed with Alexa this evening and he was extremely happy about it. He was thinking of ways to come clean to Raina about his feelings and he was glad his daughter had taken a huge step already.

"I told her I was going to think about it," Raina said after which she took a sip of her red wine.

"So what will you say when she asks you tomorrow?" Ronald asked, eager to know what her reply would be.

"I don't know." She shrugged.

Being in a relationship with someone now seems too early for Raina, even though it was almost two months since the incident happened.

Ronald turned his attention to her, collected the glass cup from her, and placed it on a small table that was beside them. Then he took her hands in his and looked straight into her eyes.

"I was thinking of how to open up to you but I'm glad that Alexa took that bold step. I like you, Raina. I don't know how or when it happened but I find you very attractive and you make me feel what I've never felt before. I don't know if you feel the same way about me but I want you to please give me a chance. I'm not insisting we get married soon but I want you to be my girlfriend. I want you to give us a chance and above all I want you to give me a chance to make me make you fall in love with me. Honestly, I can't imagine my life without you or Adrie in it. You don't have to give me your answer now, I will wait till you're ready."

Things got quiet between the two of them. Raina did not know what to say. Truly she liked Ronald and she found him really attractive even his gesture right now, him holding her hands, sent tingling sensations down her spine.

"Can I think about it please?" She whispered.

Raina did not fail to see the hurt in his eyes which turned to a sad smile after a while.

"No problem." He said as he untangled his hands from hers.

For things not to get awkward between them, he changed the topic.

"So how was work today?" He asked

"Fine. Everyone was nice to me."

"Any new friends?" He asked, interested.

"Not really, except for the head chef. Her name is Maggie." She replied and he nodded.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it over there."

"That reminds me, Alexa will be continuing her swimming lessons tomorrow so Adrie will be joining her. I signed her up too."

Raina frowned. "But Adrie doesn't even know how to swim."

"That's why it's called a swimming lesson, babe." He smiled and she sighed.

"I know. Maybe I'm just scared of her drowning."

"You don't need to worry. She will be in safe hands." He assured.