Chapter 13

A week had gone by.  Gemma hadn't heard anything from her brother since the moment he'd called her after Elena had left.  She had her suspicions where he was and she knew better than to bother him.  Harry Styles was even tempered and sweet as could be, but bugging him while he was recording and all that went away quickly.

So Gemma turned her attention to someone else.  Elena had accepted her text invitation for lunch quicker than she'd expected.  Now seated at one of the outdoor tables, she was happy the place seemed to be slightly less busy than she'd remembered it to be.

The patio was almost empty save for one other table full of girls her age on the other end.  She reached out for her water glass, her eyes lifting just as Elena passed through the huge vases full of fresh flowers that adorned the french doors.

Gemma intended to smile, but the shock kept her from it.  Elena's face was drawn.  Her cheeks caved in, her skin pale, her eyes glassy with unshed tears.  Gemma wondered if she'd stopped crying in the last week.  She watched Elena shuffle towards her quickly and sit down.

She looked scared.  Nervous to the point she might puke all over the table.  And she all but refused to look Gemma in the eyes.

Gemma waited.  Or at least that's what she told herself.  She found it hard to find her voice while she looked on the girl in front of her. 

Elena lifted her hands onto the table, her fingers on one hand toying with the fingers on the other as she stared at them,

"I didn't think you'd wanna talk to me."  She finally said.

Gemma's mouth curved into the letter W to start her word but she was unable to get it out before Elena spoke again.

"I didn't mean to hurt anyone.  I didn't...I didn't know what to do."

Gemma took a breath.  She had her own irritations with Elena for hurting her brother, but it was hard to hold onto them while seeing Elena looking so broken.

Still, she had questions that she needed answered.  Gemma leaned forward,

"Elena, why didn't you say something?"  Elena's eyes blinked but she didn't answer.  Gemma sighed, "Harry would have helped you.  He would have listened.  I would have as well.  You didn't have to go through it alone."

Elena took a shaky breath,

"Gemma, I was so scared.  I didn't know which was up and which way was down.  I was just getting into my life here..."  She lifted her eyes to Gemma's, "I-"  But she didn't continue.

Gemma sat back in her chair.  This girl before her was a stranger.  This was not the Elena Bennett she knew.  Whatever happened to cause Elena to run from everything she knew, one thing was at least clear, Elena didn't even know what had caused it.

Gemma aimlessly toyed with the edge of the cloth napkin in her lap.  Her loyalty lay with her brother.  It always would.  But Elena was quite clearly remorseful for what she'd done.  And Gemma could hardly punish her for it.

She leaned forward, her hand covering Elena's.  Once Elena's eyes finally met hers she gave her a weak smile,

"It's alright, Elena.  I understand."

Elena felt her whole body shake.  Gemma wasn't Harry, but almost as good.  Her eyes squeezed shut as she fought to stop the tears from coursing down her cheeks,

"He won't listen to me."

"He's hurt."

"I try to talk to him.  I try to get him to understand...he just shuts off to my voice."  Elena took a deep breath, "How do I get him to hear me?"