Chapter 12

Carolyn could barely understand Elena when she put the phone to her ear. She had only ever heard Elena so upset she could barely speak a handful of times in her 24 years. But this was different. Elena sounded lost and alone. Carolyn's heart instantly broke for her little girl.

"Honey...honey...shhhhh..." She soothed over the phone as best she could while Anne worriedly looked on from across her kitchen table.

Elena took a breath as she turned out of Harry's neighborhood towards Andrea's,

"He hates me."

"Honey, I'm sure he doesn't hate you."

"You didn't hear him, Mom. Or see him. He doesn't look at me the same."

Carolyn watched as Anne turned her gaze away from the phone. She was quite sure Anne was able to hear every word.

Carolyn took a breath,

"Where are you going? I will come to you."

"I'm going to Andrea's. I'll be alright. It's too long of a drive for you to get down here tonight."

"Are you sure? I will leave right now."

"I'm sure."

Carolyn and Anne's eyes met as she continued to talk to Elena,

"What happened?"

"He thinks I was going to do it without telling him."

"Elena..." Carolyn breathed.

"I was, Mom." Elena said, her voice breaking as she sobbed, "I was gonna do it without telling him."

Carolyn dropped her head,

"You have to be honest with him about that."

"I try talking to him. I try to tell him but when I do...h-he looks at me with such...anger. And I can't finish my thoughts. I immediately say whatever I need to say to stop him from being so mad."

"Elena...you have to pull over." Carolyn said as her own voice broke, "Please, Honey. You're too upset to drive."

Carolyn waited until she heard Elena push her gear shift into park. And then she listened while her daughter broke over the phone. Carolyn heard her daughter wail as if something inside of her broke away, never to return. She felt Anne reach across the table to take her hand while she, too, cried.

"Elena, I love you so much." She whispered over the phone.

"I love you too, Mom." Elena responded a few moments later. Her crying had subsided a bit at least. Elena took a deep breath, "Look, I have to get to Andrea's so I don't keep her up all night waiting. I'll text you when I get there."

"Alright. I love you and I'll see you tomorrow."

Carolyn hung up then, her hand dropping to the table once the phone disconnected. She looked over at Anne who's own tears were glistening in her eyes as well.

"It's bad." Carolyn finally said.

Anne nodded,

"I know." She shook her head, "I was hoping he'd get past it. But sometimes..." She smiled weakly, almost nervously before her face went back to a frown, "He holds on."

Carolyn turned her phone over and over in her hand,

"I always knew they'd get through their ups and downs. They were always so tough...strong. The kind of relationship that lasts." Carolyn lifted her eyes to meet Anne's, "But this..."

Anne squeezed Carolyn's hand,

"Don't lose faith yet. They are strong and they are tough. And we have to remind them of that while they can't do it themselves."