Chapter 16

It had taken over four hours to finish saving the mother and the child.

Sweat was pouring down her face in rivulets before being wiped away. Raven couldn't allow any to come in contact with her patient.

She had never operated on a human form before. The cattle on her Father's farm back home the only knowledge she had. Every so often a calf would become 'blocked' and had to be cut from the cow's womb.

Raven now had to apply a similar strategy on the Angel woman.

The cut hadn't been too hard. The baby was already taken care of and bundled into a soft fur blanket. It was quite hard to imagine how it wasn't melting in the heavy humid night though.

But no, the stitching had been the hardest to accomplish. The woman's skin in spite of the heat had a clammy cold touch to it. The symptom didn't bode well for the mother.

The injury she had sustained during her escape from an Angel camp had become infected again.

Fern, as Raven had learned, was the lead physician in the encampment. Although Raven had quickly realised that the women's medical skills were nowhere near those of people on Earth.

After a prolonged period of time Raven had been able to cut away most of the infected flesh from the long jagged cut on her ribcage. The wound, she had dosed with a bottle of emergency vodka from her pack. All wounds were cleaned and disinfected.

The stitching on her caesarian was red and inflamed as well but Raven had done everything in her capability.

"Get me more of those Glooms. In a paste and fairly thick." Fern had been on standby for the entirety of the surgery. Now she worked as Raven's lackey, got her instruments from her kit and handed her whatever else she needed.

Anaka had long ago left the tent as the smell of the infection 'sickened her'. Wuss.

She sighed in relief when she was finally able to sit back on her heels. Her back had been crooked for four hours straight.

Raven removed the cloth from the mother's mouth. They had had no choice but to gag her. Her screams could have already attracted the attention of the earlier patrol or other Angels. A thing that Anaka was adamant to avoid from happening.

Fern came back with a bowl and a glowing blue paste in it's contains. The stuff didn't have a smell to it making Raven thank whoever was out there keeping an eye on her.

The moment the paste touched the wound it miraculously spread into all the crevices of the injured flesh. One could watch as the blue stuff absorbed into the flesh like a dry sponge sucking all the water up. The substance had a rubbery feel to it as well, a quite peculiar sensation.

The woman's vein lit up as the electric blue light moved through them. As soon as the paste had seeped in Raven reapplied more. The last amount she smeared on her own arm before declaring the operation complete.

She changed into one of the breast slings a woman had provided her with. Her last brown shirt was full of sweat and dirt and made her welcome the fresh simple garment. Their fashion was not only comfortable but practical in the moist and humid environment.

The simple cotton shawl was looped around her back to the front twice, crossing up and over her breast on the second loop and knotted securely behind her neck. She had also tied the long loose ends to the loop around her back so it ran in between her hidden wings and prevented her neck from developing red pressure marks.

This had allowed her easy access to her own injury which Raven was now treating.

She hadn't looked at it before but now discovered it was bloody and bruised.