46

Two days later

Marian was pacing the floor waiting for Niall to come back from his tux fitting with Louis.  Their lawyer, Michael, had called and wanted to meet with her. He said he had some news about her case that he wanted to share in person.  She had to admit that Amelia was brilliant for having her hide out at Stan's house but after overhearing Niall's phone call with Louis, she knew that Amelia was in serious trouble. He didn't like how much time Amelia was spending with Stan, but he didn't know that Amelia was planning a surprise for Louis at the wedding and needed Stan's help for it.

"Marian! I'm back." Niall shouted as he came in.

"Don't get comfy. Michael called and wants to see us at his office ASAP" Marian answered.

"Did he say why? I hope everything is ok. Thankfully he's put a stop to the smear campaign by Wooten and The Sun." Niall said kissing his wife.

"He didn't say. Just that he had news that he wanted to share in person." Marian said grabbing her purse. "Stan said he'd watch Ewan for us while we went."

Niall and Marian drove down the long driveway and headed to their lawyer's office in silence. Marian too nervous to talk and Niall didn't know what to say so he just hummed along to the radio.  Niall took Marian's hand as they took the elevator to Michael's office and squeezed it gently to try and relax her.

"Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Horan. Michael will be with you shortly." The receptionist told them.

"Thank you Theresa." Niall said.

A few minutes later they were being led into Michael's office and Theresa hurried off to get them both a cup of tea as Michael shook hands with each of them.

"Marian, Niall.  Thanks for coming in so quickly."

"What's going on Michael? You said you had news." Marian said quickly.

"I do. Do you want the good news or bad news first?"

"Good news. I need something positive." Marian said.

"The good news is that the charges against you have been dropped."

"What! Why? What happened? Oh my god." Marian said confused.

"Well that's where the bad news comes in. It seems that Mr. Slate isn't so innocent in all of this." Michael started.

"What do you mean? Niall asked.

"Well it turns out that Mr. Slate had been stalking Marian and you, Niall, for quite some time. He was hoping to catch one of you doing something bad so he could then blackmail you and get a payout. So when he saw Marian leave that day, he followed her. When she stopped to get fuel in the car he parked his car a couple blocks away and waited. He purposely walked in front of her car. He was planning on suing you. He's a drug addict who was disgruntled because you had what he wanted. End of story." Michael told them.

"Whoa. Wait. What is this guy's first name?" Niall asked.

"Noah Slate." Michael told him. "Do you know him?"

"Yeah. I remember him from Modest Golf. He was working as an intern with us. He was a really friendly guy. Always around and chatting." Niall said.

"Well now he's being charged with stalking, attempted extortion, and causing an accident. That's just to start with." Michael said "So all the charges against you will be dismissed and you have the option to sue him if you'd like."

"No. It seems he's already down on his luck. He doesn't need that on top of it." Marian said, relieved.

"Well in that case, you are free to carry on. If you'd like, we can issue a statement for you to clear everything up. Hopefully the journalists will leave you alone now."