TWENTY

Twenty seven years ago

                Daniel paced in his study looking for a way out of this mess. This is what he got for trying to keep his business afloat. It had been doing okay until the twins arrived. Who knew babies were so expensive? The mortgage payment plus the day to day expenses weren't something to be worried about. But then he'd gone and spoiled his wife and kids extravagantly last year with a vacation that cost him more than he could afford. There's also that yacht he bought that he shouldn't have. In short he'd made bad decisions that led to more bad decisions.

When his business had taken a turn for the worse, he didn't have an option but to take out a loan in order to keep it going. But the banks wouldn't give him one because of the amount of debt he already had. He should have worked harder or found himself another job. He should have done something, anything instead of going to a loan shark. Marina had suggested she could sell her jewellery and all her paintings but he wouldn't let her. Why did he have to be so proud? If he hadn't borrowed money from that man, he wouldn't be in this position now. His pride had put his family in danger and if something happened to them, it would be his fault. He would never forgive himself. Never. Which is why he was going to do what any other man in his position would do. Run.

"Marina honey"

"Daniel" she turned her head over her shoulder to see him. "Come see our babies. Justin is teaching Jere how to throw the ball properly. Look at them Daniel. Aren't they just precious? I could watch them all day and never get tired."

"Yes. We got lucky with them didn't we" he said wrapping his hands around her waist and leaning in to look at his boys. Justin had surprised them. He always has this protective instinct over his brother. Daniel had a feeling he was more grown up than his years. Which was good for them because his brother would need him when they started school. Jere was the sensitive one. Sweet, always crying over his lost toy or something and Justin would be by his side trying to make him feel better. They were his boys and he would do anything to protect them. Even if it meant selling his business and starting all over again in a different place. "I'm sorry" he murmured to his wife.

"Sorry for what?" She tried to turn in his arms so she could face him but he stayed her not wanting to see the disappointment in her eyes.

"I did something stupid. And now it's my fault that we have to leave"

"What did you do Daniel?"

"I was only trying to make you and kids happy. I realized too late that money doesn't equal happiness. If anything, it only brings you more problems"

"Oh Daniel, I could have told you that. All I need is you and my children and I'll be happy. It doesn't matter where"

"I was hoping you'd say that. Because we have to leave" he expected a tantrum or at least some resistance but she just sagged against him asking how much time they had to pack. He realized she was right. He didn't need money for them to be happy, as long as he had his beautiful wife and children, he would be happy anywhere.

They left early the next day telling their children they were taking another one of those vacations only they wouldn't come back. Jere cried about leaving all his friends behind but Justin calmed him down, assuring him they would always have each other. He put his house up for sale, sold his business and confident that the money he had would help them start over, they left. Taking his yacht with them. It was the only thing he couldn't let go of. They ended up in the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo. Daniel figured Oscar wouldn't think of looking for him there. He'd start a new business, make money then pay off his debt when he was sure he could.

The boys took the move well. Loving their new surroundings but more so the beach. On the weekends they'd go to Catalina Island, where they would spend the whole day in the water. With every month that passed, Daniel got more and more comfortable, forgetting about his debt once in a while. They were happy. He even dared to travel, doing his business outside the country. He seriously thought Oscar had forgotten and that was his mistake.