Chapter 38: Papa's Story

"So mommy just told me that she can feel you two move, and that you both really seem to like story time with papa. So I thought tonight I would tell you both a special story, about the time I fell in love with your mom."

12 years ago...

What's up Cesar?

Nothing!

It doesn't seem like nothing, tell me.

It's just this poem we've got to write.

What about it?

It's stupid!

No, it's not!

Yes, it is!

Why do you think it's stupid?

Because it just is Monsé.

But it's super easy, I did mine in like 5 minutes.

Of course, it's easy for you, you're always writing stuff.

Yea because writing is fun... hey, why don't I help you!

You don't have to

I know but I want to, and then I can show you how easy it is.

Why are you so nice to me Monsé?

Because you're a nice person, you've always been kind to me. Plus you don't cry like Jamal and Ruby when I win at Mario Kart or Go Fish!

You are really good at Mario Kart!

I know, it's going to take a miracle for one of your guys to beat my high score! Now your poem, what kinda stuff do you like?

Umm, skateboarding, Captain Crunch, the arcade

Mmmh all the other boys are writing about those, you should do something different. Okay apart from your family, what do you love?

Ummm...I don't know

Come on there must be something? Or somewhere?

Ummm...well I do love going to the beach with my brother

The beach! That's perfect! I love going to the beach too.

"So your mom patiently spent her afternoon helping me write my poem about the beach, she even missed her favourite TV show! And at some point during that time, I looked at her and knew I was in love with her. Which I hid from her for 8 years, but it all worked out in the end! And I still think it was the best poem ever.

Mmmh, I bet you don't remember it!

As the ocean waves at me, And the sand greets the sea. The fish swim free, And shells wash up by my feet.

The sand squishes suddenly, Between my toes. Then the tide flows over them, And back down it goes.

The salt is on my tongue, The waves song is sung. The sun is going down, And so my day at the beach is done.

"You do remember!"

"I sure do. As I said...best poem ever!"

"Well, these two agree with you!"

"Are they moving again?"

"Yep just felt another strong flutter, I always feel them whenever you talk to them."

"I can't wait till they're moving and kicking properly."

"It won't be long now, *yawn*"

"Come on let's go to bed."