3

"Nice to meet you Molly... I'm Charles"

I have to repeat my name because she seems distracted, like she's not even listening. Surely I'm not that boring?

She's laughing at me now "What's so bloody hilarious about Charles?"

"Oh I'm not laughing at that. Although it is a proper posh name innit. I'm laughing at your fan club over there. Might gonna have to get the mop out if they keep drooling"

I turn to observe and give them a sarcastic smile and a little wave which makes Molly giggle even more. Her laugh is a pleasant sound and it looks like she hasn't done too much of it recently. It seems like she has a story to tell. Maybe one day I'll get to hear it.

"Glad you're smiling again"

I realise I've bordered on "weirdo" again by the look on her face and the way she has physically recoiled at my being friendly but that's all it is. She's just got something about her which makes me want to be her friend.

I came to Seabrook because I need some time to get my head around a few things. A lot of things actually.

Separating from Rebecca and losing access to Sam hit me like a tonne of bricks. Then there was losing Elvis and almost dying in Belize. It's been a mammoth year to say the least.

Molly hastily retreats back to the safety of behind the counter so I eat the brownie out of politeness and decide it's best to head home and get this leg up.

The fact that I'm jogging again means the slow progress I've made since my accident in Belize has at least been worth it. Being laid up again for the best part of a year has done my head no good. Too much time for thinking.

Mum was furious when I announced I was moving away even if it was only temporary. Part of me thinks she prefers me being injured so she can keep me at home. And this leg has given her plenty of opportunity to do just that over the years.

I give Molly a polite wave as I leave and make the short journey home.

It had been Elvis who had first attracted me to this place. He'd invited me down when he first moved here. It really wasn't the kind of place I saw him living but I understood it charm if you desired the quiet life.

He'd met this girl, who sadly I never got around to meeting but she had changed him for the better. He wanted a settled life for the first time since I'd known him and he was leaving it all behind for her. I was jealous of that. I've never met anyone who has made me want to pack it all in and start a new life away from the army. Maybe I thought by coming here I might find the same thing. Doubtful though considering the only person I've met of any interest since I got here recoils at the slightest sign of someone being nice to her. Still I find her intriguing.

Molly caught my eye the very first day I got here whilst I was out walking for my rehab. She was swearing to herself and rushing along the busy promenade presumably late for work. She was all hair and expletives and she stood out in the crowd which considering how small she is and how busy it was, it must mean something.

I was pleasantly surprised to see her again only an hour or so later when I got tired and needed to sit. She was a friendly face behind the counter of the most overpriced coffee shop in Seabrook. Her smile lit up the place that otherwise lacks anything personal or comforting about it but her being there  is inviting and friendly. She was lovely and I suspect that's why she still has a job because although she makes a great coffee, she's not particularly good at the other aspects of her job.

I found myself drawn to that coffee shop most days since although most days I was either served by someone else or she barely even registered my existence although some of the local mums certainly
noticed me.