one , eight

"And a diddle-diddle-diddle all day!" The group finished singing and Willa took a long drink of her whiskey. They had survived yet another day, and had decided to celebrate it. Everyone who wanted to be was drunk, and everyone else had retired to their tents and were trying to sleep despite the noise. Willa had been drunker than that before, but not often.

The campfire group consisted of Willa, Sean, Micah, Uncle, Arthur, Lenny, Karen and Javier, and they were all belting out songs at the tops of their lungs, getting more and more drunk by the minute. Willa felt as carefree as ever.

"Come wit' me." Sean grabbed her arm and they slipped away from the fire, now noticeably missing from the group, but they were too drunk to care. They wandered to their rock in the moonlight, taking in the cool night air. They didn't need to talk, just have each other's company on that rock as they watched the moon's reflection on the water ripple.

Willa let her head fall on to Sean's shoulder and he laid his head on hers.

"Do you think about dying?" She asked quietly, barely over a whisper.

"Yeah. Why?"

She sighed, "Do you think about how you wanna die? Like, the ideal situation?" She wondered why she was even asking him. Maybe it scared her, or maybe she was just too damn drunk.

"I haven't really t'hought about t'hat. Guess I want'ta die in love, and maybe a little drunk, going out in a blaze o' glory or somet'hing like t'hat. Somet'hing for the books." He shrugged gently. Willa intertwined her fingers with his, "What about you?"

"Oh, I don't know. I'd like to see the sunrise, or die in the arms of a loved one to know that someone really cared in the end. I don't want to be in pain, and I want to have no regrets. I want to die... Happy." Sean chuckled at her words.

"I guess t'hat sounds reasonable. A little bland, t'hough, don't ye t'hink?" Sean teased. Willa sat up and punched him, mouth open and scoffing in mock-hurt.

"And you'll die drunk and stupid, Macguire." Sean just smiled and pulled her close to him. She hugged him back something fierce and they sat like that for a long time, listening to the sounds of the night. Slowly, the people around the campfire retired to their tents and there was a comfortable silence that followed, "Don't die tomorrow." She added, pulling herself from the claws of sleep. Sean deepened the embrace.

"I won't. I'll come back, Willa. I promise." She let her eyes close again and burrowed deeper into the hug.

"Good. I don't know what I'd do without you."