three , four

Shady Belle was quiet when they approached and Willa knew the gang had already left, even before she found the note. It was a hidden message that directed them to the next camp.

"They're gone." John confirmed what Willa already knew and she passed him the note.

"They had to get out because of the Pinkertons. They almost found us again." She pursed her lips. John crumpled a corner of the note.

"Someone's feeding them information. There was no way they could've found out about the bank job without a rat on the inside." He fumed. Willa nodded.

"Keep it quiet until we can figure out who it is. Then we'll deal with them how they deserve." She warned and John set the paper down, "You know where that is?" She quirked her head to the side, gesturing to the note.

John nodded, "Little place out in the swamp. You coming?" He gestured to the door. Willa almost agreed, but then she paused. There was one thing she had to do.

"I'll catch up. I have to do something here... Alone."

John paused, "It's all gonna work out. It has to." And then he was gone. Willa pressed her palms to the table and leaned forward, taking a deep breath. The last time she had talked to Sean was in that room, and they had been yelling at each other. She never thought that'd be the last time.

She had made a promise, and she had to keep it. She forced herself away from the table and made her legs work. They took her outside and turned the corner of the house. She knew exactly where to go.

Soon, the irregular lump of earth came into view and she started running. Her heart pumped against her ribcage relentlessly as she threw herself down beside it and started digging. Dirt caught under her nails and pulled against them, and her fingers were rubbed raw, but she didn't stop until it came into view. It's dark metal surface was stained darker from constant dirt exposure, and the lock was almost fully clogged, but she was able to get the key in and opened the box.

The money glared back at her. This had been a future for her and Sean, a way out if things got rough. Now it was just hers and that disgusted her. She slammed it shut and wiped her face, spreading dirt across her skin in streaks. She promised him, like he had promised her, that she would use the money as a way out even if he died. She would have to keep going.

Willa sighed and lugged the heavy box into her arms, then made her way back to the stolen horse.

The universe had shifted since Sean died. Willa felt so wrong without him at her side and knowing that he wouldn't be there when she got back. He wouldn't be there to hassle her for getting injured again, or greet her with open arms and kisses when she returned fine. She would never feel his warmth beside her while she slept-- if she would ever be able to sleep now.

Willa secured the box onto the back of the horse, then lifted herself into the saddle and began the trek to the next camp.

From camp to camp, one home to another. She wondered if she would stay for long after this or leave. She wondered if it mattered. The money on the back of her horse told her it did, but the hole in her heart told her it didn't.

She kept riding, though, until the road turned went again and a small house came into view. People milled around it, still welcoming John home. Abigail and Jack were crying, hugging John and refusing to let go. Like he would disappear again if they let go. Willa turned the horse away and hid the box deep in a fallen, rotten log, then she mounted back up and slowly approached the house.

A weak smile cracked across her face like lightning when she spotted Libbie. The young girl's face lit up. Willa practically fell off of the horse and into her sister's hug, laughing and crying at the same time. They were on their knees in the mud, hugging and crying into each other's shoulders like no one else was watching.

"Please don't leave again." Libbie sobbed. Willa pulled back and wiped the hair from her sister's face.

"I will always come back. Doesn't matter if I'm gone for a day, or a year... I will always come back to you. I promise." She hated making promises she couldn't keep, but it was the only way to make her sister happy. And, right now, that was all that mattered.

They stood up and Libbie immediately grabbed her hand, squeezing it reassuringly, then they turned to the others. Charles was the first to greet her, pulling her small body close to his. She bit back the tears and hugged him back.

"Good job, kiddo. We have to talk after this." He whispered and she smiled, nodding against his shoulder. He pulled away after a moment.

"Oh, Willa... We heard about Sean." Mary-Beth blurted. Tilly slapped her arm.

"You can't bring that up!"

But Willa just offered them a pained, but shielding smile, "It's fine, really. I miss him, but..." She closed her eyes for a heartbeat, "I'll survive."

"Well get in here. We'll get you guys settled in and warm, then we can talk about the next move." Sadie spoke up, parting the group in front of the door. People were missing... Important people.

"Dutch isn't here?" She quirked her head to the side and Sadie shook her head.

"Dutch, Arthur, Micah, Bill and Javier."

Everyone who was at the bank. The only other ones there were Hosea, Sean, John, Her and--

"Lenny?"

"He was killed while getting out. Charles went back and buried him and Hosea."

Willa hated to ask so many questions, but something was wrong there, "Charles buried the dead there, right? Hosea and Lenny, but not Sean?" She glanced at him. Libbie pressed herself against Willa's leg. Charles sighed.

"That's what we have to talk about," He stepped forward, glancing at the others, "Alone."

Willa felt her stomach seize. It couldn't be anything good. Nothing was good anymore. She didn't want to leave Libbie, so she just let her tag along as they moved away from the group. Charles didn't seem to mind.

"What is it--"

"Sean wasn't dead." He blurted quickly. Willa felt everything screech to a halt.

"He... I watched him get shot-- he died. They took his body..." Her head was empty and she couldn't seem to form any proper sentences. Was there a chance?

"No, they didn't. We did. Well, Arthur did. Sean was only shot in the shoulder and Arthur went out there to grab him. He said he had to, for you." Charles rubbed the back of his neck and Willa felt her jaw fall open.

He was only shot in the shoulder.

"So where are they now?" She turned a sharp gaze to him. He paused.

"Last I knew, they were sneaking onto a boat. I didn't go with them because I had to distract the guards. The boats in Saint Denis go everywhere, so they could be anywhere by now."

Willa huffed, smiling slightly, "You know, you're bad at this whole reassurance thing. Telling me how they're never coming home doesn't help." She teased. Libbie squeezed her hand.

"They'll come home. Sean's going to be alright and we'll all get out of this place." The younger girl looked around the swamp and Willa laughed.

"Thanks. Why don't you go see if Tilly and Mary-Beth need help?" Willa could see that Charles had more to say, but he kept glancing at Libbie like he was determining whether or not to say it around her.

Libbie grunted a quick "fine" and ran off.

"I think this isn't going to last much longer," Charles spoke up, gesturing around, "The only voice of reason that Dutch really listened to was Hosea... And without him... Well, Dutch was already losing it before all this. I'm guessing the gang's on it's last legs." He sighed.

Willa nodded, pursing her lips, "Whatever happens, we need to make sure they all get out alright," She nodded to the house, "Someone can take Libbie if I..." Her voice caught in her throat. Charles touched her arm, pulling her back to the present.

"You won't. We're gonna get everyone outta this, even you."

She hated making promises she couldn't keep.