Chapter 5

As I braided Kingston's hair I heard the door slam making me jump. Who the fuck is slamming doors?

When I was about to get up Deshawn walked in here and sat down with his fist balled. "Deshawn?", Kingston asked. Deshawn unballed his fists.

"Yeah little man?", Deshawn asked looking at him.

"You good bro?" Deshawn and I smiled.

"Yeah I'm good little man, thanks for asking."

"Do we gotta beat somebody up?", Kingston asked. This boy.

"Nah it's all good.", Deshawn said.

"Good. Mama are you done?"

"I'm finishing the last braid.", I said as I started braiding his hair again.

After I finished the braid I looked at Deshawn. "I'm done baby, go put on your shoes.", I said. Kingston got up and left. "Are you sure you're ok?", I asked.

"I gotta find somewhere to go.", he said. I looked at him confused. "I got fired." How he get fired on his day off? I was wondering why he had to go in today.

"You don't gotta leave. I'm not about to just kick you out of the house cause you're out of work right now. You'll find another job. Just don't sit on your ass all day, look for another one in a few days."

"I will, thank you."

"No problem.", I said smiling. He smiled. His smile. Let me stop. His phone rung before either of us could say anything. He answered it without looking to see who it was.

"Hello...I told you that it wasn't me...Yeah I want my job back...I'm the best cook you got, imma need a raise and a paid day off...Yup." he hung up and smiled. "I got my job back." I looked at him confused. How? "So they thought I stole some food from them so they fired me. I guess they looked at the tapes again and saw that it wasn't me walking out with the food."

"Oh, it's good that you got your job back."

"Yeah it is. Where are y'all about to go?"

"He wanted to go get some ice cream. You wanna come?", I asked.

"Yeah.", he said as Kingston walked in the living room.

"I tied my shoes.", Kingston said happily. How? I been trying to get him to tie his shoes for the longest he just wasn't getting it. "Thanks Deshawn for showing me."

"No problem little man.", he said. The high fived.

"Look mama." He showed me his shoes. I smiled and hugged him.

"Good job baby.", I said.

...

We're at the park now. Kingston's going up and down the slide back to back. "How did you teach him to tie his shoes?", I asked not taking my eyes off of Kingston.

"I had to try a few different tricks but he caught on.", he said. I looked at him.

"Thank you."

"Mama!", Kingston screamed. We looked and saw somebody running off with Kingston. We both hopped up and ran as fast as we could. He's faster than me. Please get my baby.

As they were getting into a white van Deshawn grabbed him and threw him to the ground and started beating the man as Kingston ran to me crying. I got down and hugged my baby. "He didn't hurt you or touch you anywhere right?", I asked looking at him.

"No.", Kingston said shaking his head. I pulled him back to me. "Mama I was so scared."

"Me too baby. It's okay though."

"Call the police.", I heard Deshawn say. I looked up and saw his holding the dude with his arm twisted to the back. "This sick fuck got little boys in the van." I got up and started beating the man's ass.

After a while Deshawn stopped me and I called the police.

...

They took our statements and shit then let us go. I can't believe somebody tried taking my baby from me.

Kingston is so scared. He won't leave my side. I'm calling in tonight.

Kingston laid on me as we watched TV, everyone that lives in the house. "Thank you Deshawn.", Kingston said. "I was so scared.", he said before he started crying. Before I could hug him he got up and went to Deshawn. Deshawn picked him up and they hugged.

"Don't thank me little man. I'll never let anything happen to you.", Deshawn said.

"You promise?"

"I promise."