Chapter 1

*** 18 Months Later ***

Cancun, Mexico.

Connor woke up and could hear the sound of the ocean coming in through the open window. A warm breeze drifted in and ruffled his hair. He rolled over to see a woman sleeping beside him. There was only one person he wanted it to be, but he knew it wasn't her. This woman had long brunette hair and olive skin, she smelt like lemons or some sort of fruit, not the smell he was hoping for. The woman rolled over and stretched her arm out across Connors chest. It was only 5.30 am but Connor was wide awake. The sun was already peeking in through the blinds and the birds were singing loudly. He couldn't lie here anymore and think. He slowly slipped out from under the woman's arm and pulled his jeans up over his underwear. Samantha he thought, that was her name. He breathed a sigh of relief and muttered under his breath "So I haven't become one of those guys just yet. Sleeping with someone and then forgetting her name. Pathetic" He wrote a note and left it on the nightstand, before quickly escaping the cabin he had ended up in. He had to get back to his station before 7 am.

Chicago, Illinois.

Ava woke up to Sophia babbling over the baby monitor. She was sitting in her crib playing with a doll she got on her first birthday. Giggling away to herself as she talked to her toys. Ava stretched out and yawned before rolling onto her side and reaching for her phone. As she went to grab it off the table her eyes caught glimpse of the photo that was still taking up room on her nightstand. It was a picture from the day Sophia was born. She was sitting on the hospital bed holding the baby, Connor was behind her supporting her back, resting his head on her shoulder, holding Sophia's tiny hand. Clare was crouched in front of them looking up at Ava smiling. She paused for a minute before shaking her head and getting up to go get Sophia dressed for daycare. She couldn't help but think back to 2 years ago, when everything had seemed so perfect. A loving partner, a baby on the way, her sister living close and the perfect career. She now only had two of those things left.

Ava drove to Med, with Soph in the back seat, still laughing her head off at god knows what. She was a happy kid, never battered an eye about anything. Ava was dreading the day she would have to break her heart and tell her what happened to her dad. Although truthfully she didn't really know herself. She just woke up the morning after their last big fight and he was gone. A note, a set of keys and a bank statement were left laid out on the kitchen bench. Connor had left the cars, apartment and a hefty chunk of money for Ava to raise their daughter with. However Ava knew from experience that Sophia would have much preferred to grow up with her daddy by her side than be driven around in a fancy car. The note had simply read "I love you, but this doesn't work, its not good for me or you or our baby girl"

The second Ava walked through the ED doors, Maggie yelled at her from across the room.

M: Dr Bekker, Incoming!

She ran over to where she was standing with her bag in one arm and Sophia in the other. Maggie took Sophia from her arms and then grabbed the bag with the other, looping her own stethoscope around Ava's neck.

M: Don't worry I'll get her upstairs.

A: Kiss for mama?

Sophia leaned forward and kissed her on the nose.

S: Bye mama.

A: Goodbye sweetie. I love you.

She smiled sweetly at Soph and then ran over to the victim being wheeled in on a gurney, instantly recognizing him. It was Harry. Clare's ex boyfriend. He had kind of gone off the rails after Clare left.

A: Harry! Good god, what happened to you man?

He was groaning, barely conscious when we got to him. GCS 3. He apparently tried to kill himself by jumping out a window in an abandoned factory. Would have worked if he didn't impale himself on the fence. The spike went straight through, grazed his heart. Still some of it in there.

A: Alright thanks Foster.

E: Good luck.

5 hours later Harry was in recovery, and Dr Charles had been sitting with him for an hour. Ava was watching through the window as the two of them talked. After a moment her thoughts began to drift off. Many times she and Connor had stood in this exact spot after a surgery. The time she had operated on his red-headed, one night stand, the time he pulled off the tricky atrial caval shunt surgery, the time she saved Robin. Everyhwere she went all she could see was Connor.

M: Ava!

A: JEEZ MAGS YOU SCARED THE BEJESUS OUT OF ME!

M: Haha oh sorry. Um there's a phone call for you downstairs. Says its urgent.

A: Oh god, is it Soph? Is she ok....

M: No no no she's just peachy. Its an out of state number. Don't recognize the voice, definitely has a bit of an accent tho. Sorry to scare you. Again.

A: Maybe its someone from home.

M: Nope its definitely not a South African accent. I can't put my finger on it.

As they were walking downstairs a nurse called Maggie off into a room. Ava turned to her. Maggie mouthed the words 'Line 2'.

Ava picked up the phone.

A: Hello Dr. Ava Bekker speaking, Gaffney Chicago Medical Center.

"Hello Doctor Bekker, glad to finally get hold of you, we tried your mobile but it just rang straight through"

A: I was in surgery. Wait. Sorry. How do you have my number? Did I give it you? I changed it about 18 months ago. Sorry sorry, what is this about?

"We are ringing in regards to an old colleague and friend of yours."

A: Right.

"Do you happen to know a man who goes by the name Connor Rhodes? We have some questions to ask you"