Chapter 6

*** 3 Days Later ***

Ava was back at work now after recovering from her cold. It was a Saturday morning and she was rostered on in the ED rather than up in CT. She knew her chances of running into Connor today were high. He was working here as well. They hadn't spoken since he showed up at the apartment, and tonight he was going to be seeing Sophia again, he was inescapable and Ava still hadn't sorted her thoughts about the whole situation. However, Saturday mornings in Emergency were always super busy, so maybe it would be too hectic to even notice him. People recovering from their stupid Friday night activities were strewn everywhere with many more traipsing in and out for banana bag IV's and patch ups from bar fights and drunken accidents. Ava didn't even know if she wanted to avoid him or if she actually wanted to 'accidentally run into' him. So far she had treated 5 patients and it wasn't even 9 am. After finishing the sutures on a young twenty-something guy who had hit his head falling over, Ava was planning on heading outside to the coffee cart she spent all of her breaks at. It reminded her of 2 years ago when her and Connor were happy. Her safe place amid the chaos of hospital life. Just as she was taking off her gloves another ambo rolled in. 

M: Dr Bekker, Monique! Incoming!

Ava sighed and quickly grabbed another pair of gloves from the box and ran over to where Brett and Foster where bringing the patient in. Suddenly the monitor went off. The patient had coded. Ava jumped up on the gurney and started chest compressions while everyone continued to wheel the patient towards a treatment room. 

A: NO! STOP! SHE NEEDS AN URGENT THORACOTOMY! AORTIC DISSECTION. HYBRID ROOM AND PAGE DR RHODES RIGHT NOW. GET HIM IN HERE.... MAGGIE!

M: On it!

Maggie stopped what she was doing and ran into the Hybrid OR before the gurney and immediately started prepping. Seconds later, Connor ran into the ED from the elevator puffing and panting. 

C: Where!?

Half the staff left in the room pointed towards the Hybrid room and he sprinted in.

A: Connor Scrub!

C: Glad to see you haven't lost the knack of bossing me around.

Connor laughed nervously and then quickly looked back down at his hands. Ava was still glaring at him when Beth walked into the scrub room. 

B: Doctors you are out of time, that's as good as its gonna get for now. Get in here. 

Ava and Connor both shook their hands dry and headed into the OR.

A: Connor you take the lead.

Connor was silent. Standing there staring at her, hands still dripping. 

C: What?

A: Whats so damn hard to understand about TAKE. THE. DAMN. LEAD. 

C: Nothing, that part was clear. The part I am lost on is WHYYYY?

A: I don't have to explain. 

C: No, but its your patient... I just thought...

A: Look Dr Rhodes just start! KIND OF IN A HURRY HERE!

C: Alright but I still feel as if this may be some sort of trick...

Ava sighed and shook her head, then walked up to the operating table. Connor was silently staring at her. Ava narrowed her eyes and stared back. 

C: Beth, scalpel please.

He still had his eyes fixed on Ava. Beth cleared her throat loudly and after a final glare, looked down at his patient to make the first incision.

***

It was 3.30 pm and surgery had gone well. Connor had immediately returned to the ED after they had finished but Ava was hiding away in the upstairs locker. She was thinking about how her and Connor always managed to save the un-saveable when operating together. She felt proud. But at the same time, extremely sad and maybe even a little angry. Individually neither one of them was enough to pull of these so called 'miracles'. They had to do it together. All of a sudden there was a knock at the door. Ava jumped and got up to unlock it. It was April. 

April: What you doing holed up in here?

A: Uhhh I guess you could call it...Recovering?

April: What, from surgery?

A: Nooo no no. I have done that thousands of times.

April: Then what? God, Ava you are trembling! Are you okay?

A: Not in the slightest.

April sat down beside her and took her hand. 

April: You can tell me. I happen to be good with this sort of stuff. 

Ava looked down at her and Aprils hands and sighed. 

A: It's Connor. Don't get me wrong, I still love him, of course I do but, he is EVERYWHERE. At home, at work, I even ran into him at the grocery store two days ago. I can't get away to catch my breath. Its like I am constantly on the lookout. I can't relax and its exhausting. Today in the OR I had to give him the lead surgeon position because my hands were shaking so much being trapped in that room with him. I was forced to face him and I am just not ready yet. 

April: I am not doubting that you love him, at all. We can all see it Ava. He very clearly still loves you too. And I get it. TRUST ME. It's the same with Ethan and I. But you have to do whats best for you right now. You cannot hope to rebuild your relationship again until you overcome these issues. It would never work if you are still holding onto old baggage, and that's no good for you, him or your baby girl. 

Ava: I know but how? If I can't even have time to think. 

April: Oh come on. Talk to Maggie, talk to Sharon or Latham. You can figure something out. 

A: I think first I need to talk to him. I don't want him to be blindsided by what I do. 

April: Perfect, see at least now you have a plan.

A: Thank you April. It's good to have a full grown woman to talk to. Toddler talks can get a bit one-sided.

April: I would imagine so, but god shes gorgeous. Now come on, we need more hands downstairs. I can stick by you so hopefully for the rest of shift you can try relax. If that is even possible in the ED.

Ava smiled warmly at her as April rubbed her back and gave her hand one last squeeze before opening the door.