6.4

Danielle -October 2018

"So as you all know, we're coming up on a very big concert in a few months with the Colorado Symphony. I want every rehearsal to be productive, because this music isn't what you guys are used to. I want, and I expect everyone to practice to make rehearsal run smoother. This is a very big deal, and I want to know if y'all are serious about this. Because our performance not only reflects on you guys, but it also reflects on me as a director." My band director said as he paced around the front of the podium, with his daily announcements written down on paper. "I want today's rehearsal to be smooth, with no bullshit. If you haven't practiced your music, I'm kicking you out. Plain and simple."

Oh great, now I'm going to have to feel his wrath again from now until December. This is going to be great.

After he dismissed us, I was in a crappy mood. I had a bad reed and kept squeaking, and I got called out in front of the whole band. Great way to end the day, right?

I sighed as I sat down at the study area in the University Center and pulled out my phone to call Trayce.

I smiled lightly once his face popped on the screen.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Oh nothing. Just a bad band day." I sighed.

"What happened?"

"We're diving into the music for December, and he is working us to death. My reed kept making me squeak, and I got called out in front of the whole band."

"What did you do?"

"He called me out for squeaking so much. I thought we were done with the yelling for awhile."

"Just try to think positive, babe. Just remember it's constructive criticism. He just wants you guys to be the best band he knows y'all can be."

"I know, I just gotta keep telling myself that."

"That's my girl." He said proudly.

I smiled.

"Hey look, I have physical therapy again tonight so I won't be able to talk later on."

"Oh okay, that's fine. I understand."

"Just think about the outcome; you'll be performing with the Symphony, and you'll be a total badass on stage. I love you."

I smiled. "I will. I love you too."

He smiled as he ended the call, and as I set my phone down on the table.

"Just think positive, Danielle. Think about the outcomes. Band is supposed to be your safe place where you can come and create music with people you love and care about. Don't make it seem like it's bad because your instructor is being a jerk sometimes." I thought to myself.

------------

Trayce -October 2018

Today we have a game against my former team, the White Sox. Dodgers have been killing the game lately, and I couldn't be happier with how good we're doing. I can smell the World Series title already.

It sucks though, because I want to be out there with them and play my heart out. I've been following doctor's orders to a tee, and I dropped off my bats and anything else that had to do with baseball, off to Mom and Dad's house, so there would be no temptation to swing whatsoever. I just wish the pain would go away from my back, it's been hurting so bad lately. And with Danielle and band, every other day all I hear about is how bad band went. And I get tired of hearing it sometimes. I just don't want to hear or think about band for a while.

"What it do, Tiny?" Kiké asked as he patted my on the shoulder. "How's your back?"

"It's been bothering for a while now. Last night was really bad. I couldn't sleep."

"Did you use the cortisone shots?"

"No. After a while, a needle in the back isn't fun."

"How's the wifey?"

"She's been calling me every other day about band. All I hear is about how bad band was. They're coming up on a big concert in December, and she's been complaining about how stressful it is. She's always in a bad mood, whenever she calls me, she takes it out on me. You know some days I'm just so tired after physical therapy, I just don't want to hear it, you know?"

"No I get it. Some days you just need to unwind and focus on yourself. How long has it been going on?"

"Yeah, exactly. And a few days."

"Well after the game, you can go home and take it easy. You really shouldn't be here. You should be resting."

"I know, but I wanted to support y'all. It's getting close to the playoffs, and I just wanted to come to support. What time does it start?"

"7:30."

"I should call Danielle, just to see how she's doing."

"Tell her I said hi for me."

"I will." I chuckled.

Once when 7 rolled around, I headed towards the dugout and sat down on the benches and watched as everyone else warmed up. And yes, she had another bad day. But I'm not going to let that ruin the game, I'm about to watch my team make their way to the playoffs.

AN: Some stuff is coming up in the next few parts! It's going to be interesting!