CHAPTER TWENTY

WE MADE IT back to the hotel a few minutes later. God, were we so tired! All three of us, Mom, Wade, and I, flop ourselves down once we see the beds. Mom, Wade, and I sigh in content.
"Mom...?" Wade says, looking over at Mom.
Mom lays flat on his back with his hands over his chest, which is slowly rising up and down. His eyes are closed and he's smiling.
"Mom?" Wade ask.
"He's asleep, Wade," I tell him.
"No," Mom says all of a sudden, scaring the heck out of me. "I'm not. I'm still awake, boys. I can still hear you."
"HAHA!" Wade laughs and points at me. "YOU MADE PETER SCREAM LIKE A GIRL, MOM! HAHAHAHA!"
I clench my fists and grit my teeth, trying to cool my temper. "Wade....!"
"There you boys are!" Adikius says, suddenly.
He pops up out of know where and he hugs all three of us. Adikius hugs us so tightly we can't even breathe.
"Hey, Adikius!" Mom chokes, trying to breathe.
"Yeah...!" I say. "What he said!"
"Where have you three been?! I've been looking everywhere for you three!" Adikius explains.
"Long story, Adikius," I say.
"But the good thing is," Adikius says, releasing us. "All three of you are safe and unharmed."
Mom smiles. "That's right. We are."
"You should've seen Peter, Adikius!" Wade laughs.
"Why...? What'd he do?"
"He screamed like a girl! HAHAHAHA! MOM SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF HIM!" Wade laughs.
I wanted to punch him. Oh, how I wanted to punch him. Then I hear it. For the first time in what seemed like forever I hear it! I hear him laugh. Actually laugh! Mom's actually laughing!
At the corner of my eye, I see him laughing. He's actually smiling. And Mom nods at Adikius for whatever he said while laughing.
I smile. "It's good to hear you laugh, Mom."
Mom laughs. "Haha. Thank you, Peter."
Suddenly, my phone rings. I pick up and stare at the ID caller. It's him. It's Uncle Harrison. God, I completely forgot about him! I slap my forehead and curse. Mom and Wade's laughing instantly died down when they hear me curse and they're smile turns into a frown.
"Peter? What is it?" Mom asks, placing a hand on my shoulder.
"It's him. It's Uncle Harrison, Mom. God, I completely forgot to update him! Shoot! Ugh! I'm gonna be grounded for eternity and he's gonna kill me!" I say.
All Mom did was smile. "Let me handle this, Peter."
"But Mom-"
"I said let me handle it," Mom demands, gritting his teeth.
I sigh heavily and hand him my phone. Mom walks into the bathroom where he can talk to Dad privately. For what? I don't know.
"Peter?" Wade says.
I arch an eyebrow. "Yeah, Wade?"
"Is it over?"
"Is what over, Wade?"
"All of this? Advent and stuff? Can we actually go home?"
I smile softly. "We'll try to go home tomorrow. I promise, Wade. But right now, you need sleep. We all do. Get some sleep, lil' bro."
Wade smiles at me. "Okay, Peter. I love you..."
"I love you too, Wade," I reply.
With that, Wade fell asleep instantly.
Mom returns a few minutes later and hands me the phone. I take it and look at him curiously.
"Your father would like to speak with you," Mom informs me.
He doesn't look happy.
"You okay, Mom?" I ask.
"Oh yeah, everything's totally fine," Mom says sarcastically.
He walks over to his bed and collapses on it. Just like Wade, Mom fell isnantly fell asleep.
I walk to the bathroom and close the door. I gulp.
Here goes nothing... I thought.
"PETER REYNOLDS! WHERE ON EARTH HAVE YOU BEEN?! DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT'S BEEN?! IT'S BEEN A WEEK! A FREAKING WEEK!" Uncle Harrison shouts.
"Dad! Relax!" I say. "I'm fine! I'm fine!"
"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" he shouts.
"You know! I've been looking for Wade!" I explain.
"I SPOKE TO YOUR MOTHER!" Uncle Harrison yells.
I wince. Oh, boy...
"Yeah...? W-What'd he say...? What'd you say...?" I ask hesitantly.
"YOU ARE GROUNDED FOR LIFE! BOTH YOU AND WADE!"
"WHAT?!" I say in disbelief. "What'd I do?!"
"You left your mother, who was miserable and stressful as he was! You left and said you'd be back by dinner and you're not there. You left and never came back. You left and never TOLD ME WHERE YOU WERE!" Uncle Harrison says.
I wince.
"Dad, you can stop yelling..." I say, looking down at my feet.
"NO I CAN'T! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD, PETER! BOTH YOU AND WADE! EVEN WORSE, I COME HOME FROM WORK ONE DAY TO FIND YOUR MOTHER MISSING! MY WIFE GONE! NO NOTE, NO NOTHING!" Uncle Harrison screams.
"I'm sorry, Dad...I-I completely forgot to update you..." I say.
"TELL ME EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED! FROM THE BEGINNING!" Uncle Harrison snaps.
I roll my eyes and groan. "Ugh...Dad, I'm really tired...!"
"TOO BAD! YOU GOT YOURSELF IN THIS SITUATION PETER! NOW, TELL ME EVERYTHING! FROM THE TOP!"
So, I told him. Everything. From when I found out my real father was dead. To when Mom invited Uncle Harrison to be my new father. To when Wade disappears. To when I go searching for him. To when I go on the field trip and became Spider-Man. To when I went looking for Wade again. To when I found him but only to discover that he was Deadpool and a mercenary. To when I met Adikius. To when we found out that our mother was kidnapped by a mad-man named Advent who tried to kill me. To when we save Mom. To when Wade knocked me out and I found myself tied up in Advent's lair. To when Wade rescues me. To when Advent took our mother again. To when we rescue Mom...again and arrive here.
It's silent for a moment. I gulp. It's a scary silence. The silence you know you're in trouble for good.
"Dad...?" I say.
"When you get home, Peter, I want you to go straight to your room. Understand?"
I nod and sigh heavily. "Yes, Dad..."
"Good. Now. Go get some sleep."
We hung up. I punch the wall. So hard it caused a dent. I punch it over and over, picturing Advent right in front of me. Mom must've heard because he's up and opens the door.
"Peter?" Mom says.
Punch.
"Peter?" Mom says again.
Punch.
"Peter!" Mom shrieks, gasping.
PUNCH!
"Peter Reynolds! Stop this instant!" Mom gasps as I punch the wall. He's never seen me this angry before.
I ignore him and continue punching the wall. Mom runs over and grabs my wrists, trying to stop me. But I continue punching the wall.
And then...I did something I never done before. And I'm going to regret it.
I punched my mother. Right in the bridge of his nose. There's a sickening crack and Mom collapses onto the white, tiled bathroom floor. Blood dripping from his nostrils. Mom whimpers. I swear, he's crying too. He holds his nose and whimpers and cries.
I pant. My anger still in me but it's slowly dying down. I don't punch the wall anymore. I stand there staring at it, panting like a dog out of breath, fists clenched at my sides. When I hear him cry, I look down and my eyes go wide, about the size of golf balls.
"Mom!" I shriek, knealing next to my mother.
Wade and Adikius must've heard the crack because they're already by Mom's side.
"Mom! Mom? You okay?" Wade says, panicking. "Mom? Can you hear me?"
I stare in shock. I just punched my mother. Now, Uncle Harrison is definitely going to kill me!
"Tom? Thomas, let me see..." Adikius says.
Mom shakes his head, not wanting to let Adikius see his injury.
"Tom. Come on. Please...I need to see how bad it is!" Adikius begs.
"Come on, Mom!" Wade encourages. "Please?"
Mom shakes his head again, eyes squeezed shut and he's crying. Holding his nose and whimpering.
"Tom Holland. I need to see your nose, now," Adikius demands.
"R-Reynolds..." Mom whimpers. I can tell it hurts to say his last name. "I-It's R-Reynolds...n-not H-H-Holland..."
Adikius sighs and says, "Tom Reynolds: the wife of Ryan Reynolds and the mother of Peter and Wade Reynolds. Tom Reynolds: a beauty. Tom Reynolds: an angel. Tom Reynolds: Wade Reynolds's role model. Tom Reynolds, would you please let me see your nose?"
Mom slowly turns and let's Adikius sees his nose. Wade and I gasp. It's bad. Really bad. There's a huge gash from the bridge of his nose and that gash, which is bleeding, continues down the side of his nose, down his face, onto the corner of his lip, and to his chin.
What have I done...? I thought.
"Is it b-bad...?" Mom asks.
Adikius touches Mom's nose gently but Mom still flinches. He hisses in pain and yelps when Adikius accidentally touches the blood.
"I'm so sorry, Mom..." I whisper.
Wade hears me and gets furious and protective. Mom gasps when Wade grabs a handful of my shirt and lifts me up in the air.
"YOU DID THIS?!" Wade shrieks. "YOU HURT MOM?!"
I gulp and I'm surprisingly afraid of Wade. I've never seen him this protective of Mom before.
"W-Wade, I-"
"DID YOU, OR DID YOU NOT HURT MOM?!" Wade screams. "ANSWER ME, PETER!"
"I...It was an accident! I would never hurt our mother on purpose! You know that, Wade!" I try to explain.
Wade growls and pulls me close to his face where we meet eye to eye. There's fire in them. Anger. I gulp.
"Hurt Mom again," Wade says, his voice a dangerous whisper, "I'll kill you. I don't care if you're my brother. My big brother. I'll kill you."
He let's go of me and walk over to Mom, holding his hand as Mom screams in pain while Adikius tries to stitch the gash that runs across Mom's nose.
Afraid I'll hurt Mom again, I run. I run to where I can run no more. I run to where my feet can take me. I run into the night and into the alleyway. The alleyway isn't far from the hotel. Just turn around and run a sharp left and continue going straight and there you go. You're at the hotel.
I stop in the middle of an alleyway and bend over, hands on my knees. I breath heavily in and out. I'm sweating.
"You shouldn't be here, Peter," says a voice so vaguely familiar that I am so tempted to turn around.
I freeze. I don't respond. I stay where I am.
"Man, you're beautiful. Just like your mother. Have I mentioned that before?" the mysterious voice says.
That's when I see his feet. I stare at them. He's wearing dress shoes. Why dress shoes?
A cold finger cups my chin and lifts it to meet his brown eyes.
My eyes widen.
"Bonjure ma belle," he says and kisses the back of my knuckles.
"MATT?!"