The Box

Belladonna was bored. Her father was busy, and her usual caretakers were teaching. Instead she was stuck with the boring defence teacher. She didn’t like him. He was creepy. She didn’t know his name – every year there was a new defence teacher, so she didn’t bother. He picked her up and sat her on his desk.  She sat patiently. She was good at being patient. Patient, patient, patient. She was really patient. Because she was a good girl. And good girls were patient. Patient.  She was very patient. And then Dada would come get her and she could stop being patient. Patient, patient. She hated being patient, she decided suddenly. She scowled to herself. Patience sucked. She wanted to stop being patient now, she thought as she watched the caretaker move around the room, pushing along a big box. Bella frowned. What was he doing now? He seemed to be very careful with the box. Was something inside? Maybe there was a dragon, she thought with a smile. Or vampire. Was it a magic trick?

She watched as her teacher/babysitter left the room, muttering to himself. Bella frowned, and slipped off the desk carefully. She walked slowly towards the box, reaching out to it. She had almost touched it when suddenly there was a scratching noise coming from the box. She fell back. There was something in the box. She crawled back away from the box. The noises were getting louder. In fact, the whole box was shaking furiously now. She gave a small scared noise as she backed as far away as she could – covering her face with her hands.

And then, for a second, silence.

And then the large terrifying creature broke out of the box.