The Scolding

Dumbledore carried his daughter to her bedroom, and tucked her into her bed with a frown. Poor girl. A boggart. He frowned as he patted her head. His wonderful daughter.

His mind cast back to her mother.  Eleanor. He sighed. Bella turned anxiously in her sleep. Dumbledore hummed to her, and then left the room, his mind churning. So, a new teacher would be needed. Hmm. He had a few ideas in mind. What a waste.

Dumbledore walked back to his office, to find McGonagall waiting, with her permanent scowl etched on her face.  He raised an eyebrow in mute interest as he sat on the other side of the desk.

“Arnie has agreed to do a double,” she informed him.

“Good,” he said and nodded.

McGonagall remained sitting.

“Anything else?” he asked finally.

“Your daughter.”

“Bella?”

“Yes.” An anxious look crossed her face, to be replaced with determination. “She needs to protected.”

“Agreed.” Dumbledore said, not sure where it was going.

“Which means you’re going to have to trust people.”

“I do.”

“Not enough. He made a mistake, but he is a good person.”

Dumbledore remained silent.

“And now you’ve pushed him away.” She waited then.

“What did you expect me to do?”

“Forgiven him.”

“He placed my daughter in danger. There is enough going on to deal with second chances.”

McGonagall’s eyes narrowed briefly, but once again, she just nodded stiffly and departed.

Dumbledore sighed to himself again.