Chapter 1

For starters, I'm am obsessed with The Darkest Minds series right now. I just finished the books and they were the best! I want to create a fan fiction because one, there's not many, and two, Cole Stewart is one of my favorites other than his brother Liam. But Liam has Ruby so yeah. Hope you all enjoy.

I was sitting in my class when suddenly one of the kids started acting funny. Next thing I knew, they were lying dead on the floor. In less than two months more than half of my class was dead.

As soon as I got off the bus and towards the house, my parents opened the door and pulled me inside. My mom hung on tightly to me as if I was going to disappear next.

"Mom, your squishing me," I complained as my mom hugged me tighter. When she let go I could see why  see why she was acting that way. There were tears in her eyes and her face was all red. "Momma what's wrong?"

Before she had the chance to respond she burst into tears.

"Your sister didn't make it," dad said for mom.

I could feel my own tears welling up in my eyes. IAAN claimed so many children, but why did it have to take my sister? Mom took hold of me again and I just cried in her arms. Dad walked over to us and wrapped his arms around both of us, holding us tightly.

That night we ate dinner in silence and I went off to bed. I changed into some comfy pajamas and lied in bed and stared at the ceiling. Nothing mad sense. Why was it that IAAN claimed only the children. Why wasn't I dead? My head started to hurt just trying to wrap my mind around what was going on.

The next morning, my headache had gotten worse. I walked out into the kitchen where mom was making chocolate chip pancakes and cooking sausage. "Mom, my head hurts," I said when walked in.

She immediately dropped everything and ran over to me. "Please, not you to," she said, her voice terrified. She put her hand on my forehead and suddenly a flood of her memories came pouring into my mind. They went away as quickly as they came. "Well you don't have a fever." Relief washed over her face.

Dad then came down and gave me a big hug. "Good morning sunflower," he said kissing me on top of the head.

Mom then finished making breakfast and that morning we all laughed. My sister may had just died, but I wanted mom to not feel sad but happy.

Over the course of the next few days I went to school until my mom said that she was going to homeschool me instead. I didn't understand why she wanted to, but it just meant that I got to spend more time with her.

When she went to go make lunch I sat on the couch and turned on the tv.

IAAN has claimed over 80% of the children throughout America, the reporter announced. There have been mysterious events of surviving children. They then showed a video of a burning house. Parents, if you have a child that has survived IAAN and you are afraid what might happen to them, please send your child off to school in order for them to get the treatment that they need.

Mom came running into the living, picked up the remote and turned off the tv.

"Is there a reason I survived?" I asked looking at my mom.

Mom just smiled. "You should know better than to watch tv. It's bad for your health."

There was something that she wasn't telling me. I could tell. If asked again, she would most likely say that she loved me and not to worry.