Good intentions

Arthit's heart pounded as his knee bounced up and down with nervous energy. The city sped past him and he stared out the window as the cab drove to his house. 

The cab didn't even fully stop before Arthit threw some money at the driver and jumped out of the car. He ran to the front door and stopped abruptly. He breathed in deeply and quietly opened the door with his key.

When he got inside, he felt the somber atmosphere. As he walked into the living room, his mother noticed him and jumped up from the couch.

She walked quickly towards him and Arthit braced for a slap and closed his eyes tightly. He slowly opened him as he realized his mother was hugging him instead.

Arthit slowly encircled her with his arms. He buried his face in his neck in her neck and listened to her sob against him. Her tears soaked into his shirt and broke his heart. 

Arthit looked up at his step father and saw his stern face.

"Sir, it wasn't his fault. It was me. That's why I left. I know we can't be together. Especially, not in the same house," Arthit hurried to explain. He knew his relationship with his father was very important to Kongpob.

Arthit's mother stepped back and went to sit next to her husband again.

Arthit sat down in silence. 

"How long has this been going on?"

Arthit looked up at Kongpob's father in surprise. 

"We've just...w-w-we...since you moved in," Arthit coughed to stop himself from stuttering and despite how nervous he was he held the man's gaze. 

"Dad, it wasn't his fault." Everyone turned to see Kongpob walking in the room. "He didn't want to, but I kept pushing him."

"I believe that!" Kongpob's father chuckled despite the seriousness of the situation. "I know how stubborn you are, but Kongpob you cannot live under the same roof." 

"I applied to Kasetsart University, to the engineering department" Kongpob finished quickly. 

Kongpob's father raised his eyebrows in surprise. "You've never wanted to do that. I've been trying to convince you."

"I will do it, but you have to leave us alone."

Kongpob's father looked at Arthit's mom and she nodded her head. 

"Arthit, I'm not sad because you're gay. I'm just so sad that you haven't told me. You must have felt so sad. My poor Aioon," Arthit's mother gave him a sad look and sniffled.

Arthit frowned. "Mom, I just like Kongpob. I've never liked guys before."

Kongpob grinned widely and his body seem to float up to the ceiling with happiness. Arthit elbowed him and coughed.

"Well, I agree with Kongpob's father. You guys need to focus on your studies."

Kongpob's father nodded. "Also, if your grades start to slip I will transfer Kongpob out of there."

Kongpob's smile almost broke his face in half. "Does this mean you accept our relationship?"

Kongpob's father and Arthit's mother nodded in unison. Arthit's mother couldn't help poking fun at her son. 

"I guess that's why you never made a move on Namtan. You weren't slow, you just weren't into it. This makes me feel better," she said with a laugh.

Unlike everyone else in the room Arthit was still frowning. Kongpob reached out for his hand and startled when Arthit snatched his hand away.

"I don't want to be with Kongpob. I just came so you wouldn't blame him," at Kongpob's crestfallen face, Arthit's resolve almost vanished, but he hardened his heart. This is what is best for both of us