Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

Old Intentions, New Motives

          "Ivy, please . . .  I just want to talk . . .  "  He whisper-yelled back up to me as I turned to walk away from the window.  Groaning, I spun back around and glared down at him.  He shouldn't be here – he knew that.

          He could be putting Cade, Jason, Asher, himself and me in danger. Our lives are being risked because he wanted to talk, and that wasn't even fair.  I glared down at him but it didn't phase his next three words.

          "Trust me, Ivy . . . " 

          "Oh, now you want to talk?"  I yelled down to him, not bother to control my tone and noise level.  "Well, fuck that, Brian!  You held a mother fucking gun to my head a few days ago!  You were going to fucking shoot me!  Don't you get it?!  On top of that, you want me to trust you?  Trust you of all people?  Why in the world would I trust you?" 

          "Because I'm your only hope . . . "  He whispered and I groaned, stepped out my window and standing on the edge.  

          "What are you doing?  Are you trying to get yourself killed?"  He yelled back to me.

          Rolling my eyes, I jumped down and landed on my two feet.  I won't lie - it stung pretty badly, but I had better things to worry about right now.  Standing up straight, I glared Brian down and even debated on throwing a punch at him. 

          Lucky for him, I decided against that option. 

          "You shouldn't be here . . . "  I growled out, my voice low and intimidating. 

          "I know I shouldn't . . .  God, I know, Ivy, but I had to see you were here like they told me," he said, frantically.  Sighing, I sat down and leaned against the house, staring up at him.  

          "Ivy, I need to talk to you, alright?  Just talking, that's it . . . " 

          "Give me your gun," I stated and he looked at me in complete shock.  "What?  I know you wouldn't show up here without it and I know where it is, Brian.  It's tied to your boot.  If you want to talk, and you want me to trust you then give it to me." 

          Sighing, he bent down and untied his gun from his boot before handing it to me.  The only reason I knew it was there was because I taught him that when we were running from the police after we had robbed a gas station.  Of course he thought I was nuts until I showed him how to do it so it wouldn't shoot him in the foot. 

          I threw it under Asher's truck and Brian gave me a "what the fuck" look.  Shaking my head, I opened my mouth to speak.

          "You would only trust me if I wasn't holding a weapon – besides, how do I know you won't tackle me for it.  At least now I can see if you're going to go for it or not.  So, you came to talk.  Now talk or I'm going back to my fucking bed," I snapped.  

          "I'm sorry, Ivy . . . "  He mumbled to me.  I sent him a "for what" look and he sighed, sitting down in front of me and leaning forward as he wrapped his arms around his knees.  

          "For holding the gun to your head . . .  Ivy, I didn't want to kill you.  It was an act – they paid me to do it.  Please, forgive me . . .  I don't like to upset my former gang leader; my best friend . . . "  He whispered his words, causing me to chuckle humorlessly.

          "Your best friend, Brian," I said from between my teeth, "Died a long time ago.  You have no idea who I am anymore, do you?"