Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

In The Past

          "That might actually work . . . "  I said after Brian finished explaining what was going on in his head.  The bank job won't be all that hard if no one fucks up and the bank teller listens to us – but that rarely ever happens. 

          We were banking on luck. 

          "Yeah, okay . . . "  Asher said, still staring at the ground, "But what about our voices?  If they hear us and someone recognizes them, the whole job is blown up in smoke.  You both know that, don't you?  Then, what if someone follows either of you from the gang?  Or me?" 

          "They won't.  We have a week to get this done and that means fast planning, doesn't it?"  Brian said and Asher and I both nodded.

          We stayed silent for a moment before Brian spoke, again, "Look, I know this guy that can get us some kind of microphone shit to mask our voices.  I've used them before – the first time I actually started making robot noises." 

          "Leave it to you to have fun during a job, Brian . . . "  I said and everyone in the room chuckled.

          "Besides, the only person they're following is Jason.  He might be having help getting the money, but they want to make sure that he isn't going to the police or getting connected with another gang," Brian explained.  

          "You know this, how . . . ?"  Asher asked which caused Brian to chuckle. 

          "Are you fucking kidding, Asher?"  I asked and he shook his head "no". 

          "Ash," Brian said and I left it to him to explain.  "Ivy was the gang best leader we ever had – but, God, she was a bitch sometimes.  When we wanted to make sure someone wasn't connected with another gang, she told us we had to follow them.  Then, of course and so naturally, she said follow almost everyone close to them." 

          "Then, why don't you guys still do that?" 

          "We don't have her and Brock took over when she left . . . " Brian said, his voice filled with jealousy and rage.  "He's only doing it now so that Ivy thinks they kept things the same way.  He said she would be disappointed if we changed the gang's dynamics.  Regardless of how angry he is with her right now, he's still aiming to please her.  That's just how Brock is."

          I stared at him and watched his body language from the window sill I was sitting on.  The window calmed me – the coolness of the glass took the fever I had from me. 

          I noticed Asher staring at me from the couch but I ignored him.  I knew he wanted me to look at him, but I couldn't.  There was something in Brian's eyes that was gluing me to him.  I wanted to know what happened when I left – I wanted to know about everything I didn't already figure out. 

          "Hey, Brian?"  I asked and he stopped dead in his tracks.  He'd been pacing around the living room and mumbling out a random jumble of words that I couldn't understand.  Huffing out a breath, he looked up at me and gave me a blank stare.

          "What happened when I left . . . ?  I mean . . .  I know Asher left and I know Jason got involved with the gang but what happened that affects you so much . . . ?" 

          "Do you really want to know what happened . . . ?"  He asked and I nodded.  I saw Asher stand in the corner of my eye and walk out of the room.  Before Brian spoke, he waited for the front door to slam closed.