Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One

An Old Friend

          "Alright, guys . . . "  I said as I stepped on the bottom step.

          Yesterday was a long day and after the conversation I had with Hector, Asher sent me up to my room.  I felt like a little kid, but obliged with a bit of huffing and pouting.   I fell asleep not long after calling an old friend for a favor.

          Asher and Brian didn't wake me up until Jason left at five this morning.  They didn't seem to have heard the conversation I had on the phone, either. 

          "Well, leather pants are sexier, but skinny jeans are nice, too . . . "  Asher said, eyeing my body up.  I shrugged and sighed. 

          My hips didn't fit in my leather pants, anymore, so I settled on my black skinny jeans.  I didn't have a choice, anyway, but I was going to be driving Omari's motorcycle and I knew that with my speed, it was a very good chance I would crash if I wasn't paying attention. 

          Or if anyone had tampered with it. 

          "Safety first . . . "  I said holding up my helmet and Brian and Asher laughed out loud.  

          Sighing, I looked out the window to see the sun was still shining and I knew it had to be around five or so.  It was a weekend – a Saturday to be exact – and the bank didn't close until about eight in the afternoon.

          "Safety?"  Brian asked through his laughter. 

          "Wait, wait . . .  Do you remember this?"  Asher asked, leaning up against the wall and handing me a cigarette, "First you smiled and then do you remember what you said to me?  "Danger is my middle name".  Then, you laughed a little and lit up a cigarette."  

          He mocked me and I walked up to him and smacked his shoulder.  The stinging sound echoed through the walk way and he gave me a "what the fuck" look and rubbed his arm. 

          "Are you done?"  I snapped and he nodded, "Well, good.  Give me those wires, Brian." 

          He handed them to me and I hooked them up so they were hidden under my black short sleeved shirt.  We were all wearing black and white – I even had on my black Vans.  Everything was laid out and it was fairly simple.  We didn't know if we would be talking, but just in case, we had Desmond get the microphones to disguise our voices. 

          "Almost ready?"  I asked Brian and he nodded.

          Turning to Asher I saw him playing around with his phone and I groaned, looking at the screen.  I saw him texting someone and grew suspicious when he quickly closed the app after seeing what I'd caught him doing – he'd been doing that a lot lately and never mentioned anything to myself or Brian.  I even asked Brian and he said he noticed Asher doing that a lot, too, but didn't think anything of it until I brought it up.  

          Sighing, I pushed his behavior off and focused on the job. 

          "Let's go . . . "  Asher said and walked out the door.

          Once outside, I reached the bike and looked back at Brian.  Giving him a look, I threw my leg over the side of the bike and pulled on my leather jacket.  Asher slid into the Roadrunner and Brian reluctantly sat in the driver's seat of the Chevelle.

          They had an argument about that around six this morning and I told them both to shut the fuck up and that Ash would drive my car.  Of course Brian didn't like the idea, but he didn't argue with me, anymore.