Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

Criminals and Druggies

          "Ivy . . . "  He said, again as he jumped out of the truck and pulled a sweatshirt over his head.

          I couldn't even comprehend who it was.  His face was blurred and his voice was hushed due to the rain.  Looking up, I could easily make-out the truck's shape, but not the color or plates.  Once he reached me and engulfed me in a hug, I recognized his axe smell and smiled weakly as I spoke.

          "Asher," I whispered and he nodded against my shoulder. 

          "Yeah, honey, it's me . . . "  He said as he pulled back and looked me in the eyes.  I still couldn't make out his facial features, but I knew the look on his face, anyway – worry.  He was worried about me.

          "Why are you out here?  You know it's not safe for you to be out alone . . .  Not only because you're about fifty yards from a bar full of drunk old perverts but because you're wanted . . .  What are you doing, Ivy?"  He muttered into my wet hair. 

          "I-I . . . "  I couldn't even explain to him right now as my teeth chattered together and my body shivered.  I suddenly felt weak and didn't think I could stand.  My mouth tasted horrible, my body ached in pain as we stood and my skin now raised goose bumps.  My stomach was twisting together and churning and I felt like I was going to throw up. 

          "Shit, you're going to get sick, you fucking lunatic . . . "  He said and shoved me in the truck.  As he shut the door, he turned off the air and turned the heat on full-blast.  I still shivered but the warmth felt good and the smell of Ash's truck calmed my stomach a little. 

          "W-where's Br-B-Brian?"  I asked between teeth chatters. 

          "Shit, Ivy . . .  Come here," he said and put his arm out, waving me over.  I didn't want to get him soaking wet, but I was freezing cold.  Scooting over, he hugged me close to his chest and kissed my head as we drove down the road. 

          "Y-you did-didn't answer the q-ques-stion . . . "  I mumbled and he scoffed. 

          "Shut up, woman," he said causing me to let out a weak laugh.

          "We went back to the house, saw you weren't there and Jason was up in his room shooting up and asked him – said you two got into an argument about me and made some snide comments which Brian and I brushed off.  Brian stayed there to make sure Jason didn't do anything overly stupid and I came to find you . . .  and find you I fucking did, you psycho," he muttered his last sentence and shook his head.

          "G-gee . . .  I l-lov-ve you, t-too . . . "  I mumbled and he sighed, turning down a road. 

          It was silent for awhile – nothing but our shallow breathing and the heat from the truck filling the air around us.  I closed my eyes for what I wanted to be a brief moment, thinking he would wake me up if I fell asleep.  Asher only shifted his arm around once or twice, but other than that, the ride home was silent and virtually still – that's why I loved Ash's truck. 

          "Ivy?"  He whispered when the truck rolled to a stop.  Assuming he was stopping for gas, I opened my eyes slightly to see we were in front of the Howard's house.  Anger took over part of me, but I couldn't move much.

          I still felt like shit. 

          "What are we doing here . . . ?"  I groaned as Asher slid out of the front seat after shutting the truck off.  The wind that was blowing in from the open door went straight to my bones, causing my teeth to chatter, again.  It was still raining, but Ash didn't seem to notice as he picked me up and carried me to the porch.