Epilogue

EXT. RYKER ASYLUM - COURTYARD - LATER

Faye is drifting off in Erin's arms as she waits outside of the asylum, she sees Mason coming out drenched in blood.

ERIN

Mason! Are you okay?!

MASON

I'm fine, it's over. Horace is dead.

Mason stands beside Erin, Erin holds his bloody hand and carries Erin as they walk into the woods.

Sheriff Hannan appears at the front gate, he sees Mason, Erin and Faye. Mason is almost in a trance and barely notices him.

SHERIFF HANNAN

You look like hell Mason.

ERIN

Cal.. I'm sorry, it wasn't Mason's fault. He--

SHERIFF HANNAN

You don't need to explain anything. That motel.. Those kids are safe now. When I came back and that girl had been taken. I followed a hunch and found out that Lieutenant Allen had been seen with Horace tonight. Allen's someone I've not been sure of so I followed him here, I guess I was too late.

ERIN

Mason's father, he was the--

SHERIFF HANNAN

The Roulette Killer.. I can only imagine what you just left behind.

(Beat)

But I'm letting you walk away. And my reports gonna read that I saw no one.

ERIN

Why are you doing this for us?

SHERIFF HANNAN

Gracie's father wasn't Stephen Combs.. I should've told you this years ago but.. I'm her father. Me and your mother had an affair. There wouldn't be a single thing I'd do to stop what you did to Horace.

ERIN

I'm not surprised you guys kept it to yourselves. My mother's kept to herself since being in all the papers.

SHERIFF HANNAN

That little girl, what's her name?

ERIN

Faye..

SHERIFF HANNAN

Faye Blackly? The girl that went missing in the next time over. I saw her room in the basement. Allen wasn't the only one that can cover things up, from now on she's Faye Ashford. I can get you the right papers so she can live a normal life. She looks like you Mason, I hope she's alright.

ERIN

She's fine, she didn't see anything that happened in there.

MASON

She just thinks that me and uncle Horace made a mess painting.

SHERIFF HANNAN

I searched Horace's car before I got here, he keeps a box of polaroids of his victims. All the evidence you need.

ERIN

I know where the remains are, everyone.. Even Gracie. The bonfires lead the way to their graves. The families can lay them to rest.

SHERIFF HANNAN

I guess this is it. This should be the last we speak of this, safe travels.