Chapter 11: Tying up Loose Ends

Will and George couldn't avoid each other forever. The two of them had somehow managed it for a few days, but it was inevitable that they would eventually collide.

And collide they did, literally. George was scampering back to his room when he ran into Will by accident. He should have just brushed past him and gone back to his room, but something stopped him. He looked up and the two locked eyes for what felt like the first time in a long while.

"I–" George was immediately cut off by Will giving him possibly the biggest hug anybody had ever received. Ever. The guy was literally squeezing the air out of his lungs. "Will–" he gasped. This would be how he died. So young. So much to live for.

"Sorry," Will said, letting him go, George expected to hear him chuckle and move past him, but he stayed. "Sorry about everything." George looked up, tears were pricking at Will's eyes. "All of this stuff is so stupid. It ruins friendships. It ruined our friendship most of all, and I realized that too late."

George didn't know what to do, all of his petty plans and anger seemed to have just fallen apart in that one instant. He took a shaky breath in, and with an equally shaky exhale, he did something he wouldn't have seen himself doing twenty minutes ago.

"Thanks, Will. I– I'm sorry too, you're right. All this stuff is so stupid. We should probably just, y'know... forget any of it ever happened."

"Hah, that might take a while..." Will smiled.

A week later, Josh was still hanging around the place for some reason. Will was annoyed that the uninvited visitor was still present, and still shooting him and Stephen glares whenever he got the chance. Didn't he get the memo? They'd made up. He can go home now.

"You're jealous," Stephen said, arms crossed, leaning back into the couch.

"Am not."

"Are too."

"I told you, all of this is behind me now. I don't care."

"That's what you think, sure. All of this is behind you. Alright. The story's over. Go home, kids." Will just glared at Stephen, "I'll let you live that lie for as long as you can, buddy."

"Whatever, can you get out of my living room?"

Stephen laughed, standing up and stretching, "Sure thing. It's been fun, see ya 'round."

"Bye, Ste." Will watched his friend– fling? What were they? Leave out the front door. He wanted to say his heart hurt to see him leave. Did it? He couldn't tell through the fog of definitely-not-jealousy that dominated his thoughts.