Chapter 3

"Perfect. Absolutely perfect," Jade compliments as she holds my left hand in hers, examining my engagement ring closely. "It was about time there was a beautiful ring on that finger."

"So everyone keeps saying," I muse, eyeing Luca next to me who simply rolls his eyes at his friend.

"I'm just happy I finally had a chance to pop the question," Luca comments.

"And we're all happy for you, bro." Fredrick adds. He pulls Luca in for a brief hug, patting his back a few times before they pull apart. "Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"Maybe now we can focus on the happy things and not the bad."

"I need to deal with my ex first and foremost."

"I still can't believe that she may be married to Finn Bailey." Jade lets go of my hand and accepts the clutch bag Fredrick holds out for her to take. "Out of all the men in the world she could have married, she decided on the one person who still holds the biggest grudge against her ex."

"And the funny thing is that his sisters are the nicest people you can ever meet," Fredrick states. He checks the time on his watch, then fixes the sleeve of his stone coloured suit jacket so it sits perfectly once more. "We need to get going before the bitch turns up."

"Hey," Luca says firmly.

Fredrick glares at him. "What?"

"Nothing. I would have just used a different word."

"Something with a bit more bite to it?"

"More or less," he shrugs.

"Enough you two." Jade pushes at the two men to move ahead of us out of the house and down the steps to the waiting cars.

"Have as much fun as you possibly can," Nick says, following us closely so he can close the front door behind us. "If anything happens, let us know straight away."

"We will do."

The drive to the art gallery is shorter than I expected it to be. One minute we're at Jane and Nick's house, then we're just getting settled in the back of the car, and the next minute we're pulling up outside a white building on Washington Square East. Neither Luca nor I had a chance to speak about anything but it doesn't matter. I know his thoughts are going to be getting concrete information on who Nadia is married to if she does indeed turn up here tonight with the man Luca seems to think she's married to.

Carlo and Jones get out the front of the car as soon as the engine dies and open the back doors for Luca and I to get out. I turn on the seat, place both feet on the pavement, and accept Luca's offered hand as I get out the car.

Normally, it's easier to get in and out of a car in a shorter dress but not when it's a tight-fitted midi dress. It's cut a couple of inches below my knee and I'm restricted even more so with the sequins that adds sparkle to the simple long-sleeved navy dress.

Although, looking at Jade who gets out of the back of the car in front of us makes it seem so simple to do in a midi dress. Fair enough, she has had plenty of practice in doing so over the years. That and it could be because her car is a lot bigger than the one we are in and is higher up off the ground.

"Be waiting for us to go when we need to," Luca instructs to Carlo and Jones.

I can see Fredrick do the same with his driver and security team who simply nod and return to the car.

"Jones and I will be waiting close by," Carlo tells Luca.

Luca nods. "Alright."

His hold of my hand tightens slightly as we join Fredrick and Jade, and walk towards the entrance of the art gallery.