Chapter 11

I can't help but squint my eyes as I look at the traffic that goes past me on St. James's Street the next day. It's lunchtime and I'm waiting patiently for Allison to come out of the building behind me so we can go for lunch. Jones is parked up not too far from where I'm standing, keeping a close watch and ready to step in if he's needed.

For all I have my trench coat buttoned all the way up, it's not as cold as it normally would be getting at this time of the year here. The ground is still damp from the rain that fell overnight and into most of this morning, everyone around me clearly taking note of the ever-changing British weather with hooded coats and jackets on, as well as sensible shoes.

"Let me see it!" Allison's voice abruptly squeals from behind me.

I turn on the spot and see her come rushing at me in the middle of the pavement, her feet moving as quick as they can in her high heels. Pedestrians look at her, some in confusion, others with an appalled look on their face at how loud she is.

"Let me see it," she repeats.

I grin at her as she jumps up and down in front of me, my hands falling onto her arms to try and calm her down. "Okay. Okay."

I lift my left hand and let her see my engagement ring. She holds my hand close to her face to examine the ring much closer now she has a chance to see it in the flesh and not via a FaceTime call.

"Wow," she breathes. "It's even more beautiful when you see it with your own eyes."

"Thank you."

"I'm actually surprised it still fits after all this time." She drops my hand. "I mean; you did fill out a bit since he first got you that ring."

I playfully slap her arm. "If that's your way of saying I've gotten fat, I may just punch you instead of the slap I just gave you."

"Only in the areas you needed it," she defends.

She links her arm with mine and we begin walking along the pavement, not caring which way or where we're going. I glance over at Jones who has now gotten out his car and is moving to follow us closely.

"So, did you speak to Luca last night and find out how the court case is going?" Allison asks, getting straight to the point.

I look at the ground and raise my brows. "I did."

"And?" She presses.

"And there's not much to tell in regards to the court case other than I will be called upon next week at some point. I just need to prepare myself for anything and everything that may happen."

"But you won't be going against Luca. You'll be there for Luca."

"Not with the things that Nadia is saying. The 'evidence' she has falls in her favour apparently."

"I see," she draws out.

"Can we please talk about something else?" I half plead. I look at her. "I need something to get my mind off of this kind of stuff which is one of the main reasons why I came back home."

"Alright, then." She stares off for a moment, pondering about what we should talk about. "When's the wedding?"

I laugh and grip her hand of the arm that's linked with mine. "Let's just say that it will be sooner rather than later."

"Oh, really?" She grins.

"Yes," I nod.

And just like magic, my mood has changed and I can't help the smile that's forming on my face. Finally talking to my best friend about my wedding has my mind going to nothing but happy places and never-ending thoughts on how I want the wedding to go.