Chapter 30

My sight is blurry when I open my eyes and I blink a couple of times to try and get my eyes to focus. It doesn't work completely but it works enough for me to take note that I'm in a hospital room. The lights are dimmed and the curtain to my left is partly closed, the dark sky outside a tell-tale sign that it's night time. The television opposite me on the wall to my left is on but muted. I can't make out what's on and I could care less about what's on. What I do care about is the figure I can see slouched in the chair, jean covered legs stretched out and crossed and a leather jacket placed over their arms and chest for warmth.

I let my head sink further into the soft white pillow I'm resting on and look at Luca sleeping peacefully, the only time he can be truly at peace from the worries real life has handed to him lately. To others, it may seem like he's in an uncomfortable position – and he most likely is – but he won't care as long as he's by my side. Depending on how long I've been here for, I have no doubt he'll have been here every second of it. I try to keep my gaze focused on him as best as I can, my eyes wanting to drift closed but I won't let them. I want to watch my fiancé for a little while longer.

The fiancé I could have lost. The fiancé I nearly did lose because of a vengeful ex. The fiancé who has done everything for me since we found each other again. The fiancé who has always had hope that we'd meet again and we did. The very same fiancé who has always loved me and who always will love me regardless of what happens.

I have to suppress my laughter when Luca moves in his sleep, causing him to slip off the chair which wakes him with a start. His hands fly out from under his jacket and grip the armrests tightly to haul himself up into a proper sitting position. He takes a few deep breathes and blinks rapidly before looking in my direction.

I flex my fingers as a way of waving at him without actually lifting my hand. "Hi."

"Kaylee," he breathes with relief. He drags the chair closer to the bed and takes my left hand in his, careful of the IV that's been inserted into my hand. "Hi."

"How-" I start but he cuts me off.

"Three days," he answers, knowing exactly what I'm going to ask. "You've been out of three days. You were taken to an NHS hospital but I had them transfer you to a private one. You're in London Bridge Hospital now."

I nod slowly, closing my eyes and turning my head away from him. "That explains the private room."

"And the great care you received," he adds before the room door opens.

"Ah, you're awake," a somewhat familiar male voice says loudly. The lights brighten and I squint my eyes as I look at the person who just walked in. Dr. Watts smiles at me as he comes to a stop next to my bed. "That's a good sign and something I said I wanted to know about as soon as it happened."

He raises a brow at Luca who rolls his eyes at him.

"I'm sorry if I wanted a minute or two with my fiancée before I let the doctors and nurses at her again," Luca defends.

"Everyone is only here to help her. Saying that, you need to remember that I am here as yet another favour to you." He pulls my chart from the bottom of the bed and starts to check my vitals. He pulls a pen from his grey shirt pocket. "Not that I'm keeping count. Just like to point things out."

I frown at him. "Aren't you a heart surgeon?"

"Cardiology may be my speciality when it comes to working with my wife but I'm classed as a general surgeon," he explains while noting things in my chart. "I couldn't pick one thing to specialise in so I chose to know everything which comes in handy when you get to send the bills to that man sitting next to you."