Page 11

That night, for some strange reason, Zack was thinking about Wayne. He didn't know how he got there in the first place. He backtracked. First, he mused, he was thinking about how lucky he was now, from a nobody to someone people actually made the effort to go and talk to. How topsy-turvy the world had become, thinking of all the times where he had struggled to converse with the popular kids like Theo and Mikaella without someone else butting in all the time. He wondered with a little regret about how Wayne was doing. "That's it," he said quietly to himself, "that's how I got to thinking about him," Mikaella was probably okay, he thought with confidence. She was, after all, popular, just like he was now, he thought with a chuckle. He wouldn't be sick of hearing that for a while. He sobered up though, once he seriously started thinking about Wayne. Wayne, even till now, was still much of a mystery to him. He was a caring individual, that couldn't be denied, but Zack didn't know much more than that about the albino boy he let his burdens out to. He remembered once when he tried finding out more about Wayne's life but he skilfully maneuvred the conversation away and Zack now wondered why he didn't push for more details. He scratched his head. Why didn't he? Zack sat there in front of his computer thinking hard. However, after about ten minutes of that, he gave up. "Respect privacy, man," he said with a sigh, "s'wat I always say," and leaned back on his chair scrolling through the search results for ideas for his next carving.

Meanwhile, in a few houses away from Zack's, Mikaella rested her chin on her hand and looked at her computer; her other hand tapping the desk thoughtfully. She sighed deeply and finally brought her forehead down onto the table im frustration with a thump. She looked up at the screen again, or more precisely, Zack's online facebook status. To tell or not to tell? That apparently was the question Mikaella had, running around in her head in endless circles. She shifted her gaze to the picture frame on the shelf right next to the space where the screen was. It was a picture of her....and a young boy. She hesitated a moment but reached out and took it. Sitting upright, she traced the boy's features with her finger, tears springing in her eyes. She quickly placed it back and wiped her eyes. "Think I've made peace with myself, Zack? You got it wrong, Zack, seriously wrong," and yet again she almost was about to start a conversation with him to tell him so. She froze with her hands poised to type and.....no. Nevermind, she thought, nevermind. She leaned back on her wheelie-chair and began rolling around her room. Unfortunately for her, since she wasn't actually focusing on what she was doing, she crashed into a lampstand and cursed. That was when she heard the message tone on her computer. She rolled there, more carefully this time, and looked to see who it was. She was surprised to see it was Theo. Strange, she mused, as she turned her thoughts towards him. She didn't know him very well, after all, he was supposed to be Zack's best friend! Then again, one couldn't help befriending a friend's friend; she hadn't talked to him lately though. "I noticed you seemed down," he typed, "Everything okay? You looked really, how should I say, depressed just now.... =P" Mikaella stared. Was she really all that expressive? She sighed for what must have been the 100th time. She wasn't going to tell him EVERYTHING but she supposed it wouldn't hurt to tell him a brief overview. She began to type, "Well let's just say I've been having some problems..."