Page 34

"Guys, we got our scout!" and he bowed to them as Elyss walked in. They were in the dorm common room in a slightly out of the way table. Carvin began sputtering again but Corby was too elated to be self conscious. "YESSS!!!" he yelled and hugged her tightly and once he let her go, he slapped Zack on the back. He almost knocked his head on the table. "First you show Bradsfort and his gang of retards that they don't scare us, next, take the girl everyone wants to go out with, and now, she's our scout! I dont know what you do or how you do it but you gotta tell me how you pick up a girl like that!" "Corby! She's my sister." Corby looked at her, then back to him, "You don't look alike...." and he trailed off uncertainly. They both laughed...at the same time and the two knew something was up. "We have a psychic link." Zack said. "Imprinting, I think you know of it," Elyss said to Corby, whose face cleared, "Ah! I see." he said while wringing his hands excitedly, "That will be a huge advantage then!" he whispered, "Since you're a sniper, you can't be in radio contact all the time... so you can just psychic up to Elyss to know what's going on!"

"He's smart." Elyss thought to Zack.

"Don't feed his ego Elyss dear," he responded. He was elated at the ease he could send and receive thoughts now. "Alright," he said to the three of them, "We're a full team now, so let's get in and win!" "YEAH!" they shouted as everyone else stared at them with hostility for ruining their study time.

"You got Elyss Masters on your team?" Sgt Troffs looked dumbstruck. "Yes sir." Zack said. "It wasn't as easy as it sounded."

"Liar."

"Shush Elyss! Trying to persuade here."

"And you're doing such an admirable job..." she snickered

"I could do without the sarcasm,"

"Why? When you're so proficient yourself?" she asked mockingly.

As long as it seemed, this banter took place for not more than a few seconds. "Alright then." he said with a small grin, "I'll be your Supporting Officer." Zack's enthusiasm was heightened by Elyss' own. "Thank you sir! I'll make sure to bring the trophy back," he said determinedly. "I'll trust you Mr. Ying. Curuthers says that your sniping skill is astonishing. I know of Master's level, and Corby certainly has a dangerous air about him but Carvin....?"

"He's our demo man, sir," Troffs raised an eyebrow, "Yes.... He always was interested in tinkering with things. Such a pity about his parents," he said shaking his head sadly. He looked at Zack, "Alright. Bring that trophy home, Ying!" Zack saluted. "You can count on me sir!"

For the rest of the tenth month, Decanus, the team prepared themselves almost with a mania. Elyss made apologies to her friends and they were, thankfully, understanding. "I expect Tiff to interrogate you fully about Corby." Zack sniggered. "Oh, don't remind me." Elyss replied. Elyss taught them rudimentary stalking and for Carvin especially, the right places to lay his traps. Carvin still hadn't gotten over his shyness of Elyss, but he pushed it aside to focus whole heartedly to the tournament, to the trio's silent admiration.

"He's really something," Elyss told the other two quietly. Corby nodded his agreement. "It was his parents' insistence that he take a marine course. If not, I'd think he'd be one of the best."

"Well, Jarc ol' buddy, it starts tomorrow," Zack said to him the day before the tournament. It was a peaceful Thirdsday night, not humid, but cool and slightly windy. "Mmhmm," Jarc said as he clacked a counter into place. Zack did the same. "You know," he said, "I still wonder what I'm gonna do after I get Tucker." His eyes still riveted on the game, Jarc replied, "How do you know whether you're even going to get'im?" Clack.

"You're the one always telling me to be confident in myself!" Clack.

"There's a difference between realism and optimism, dontcha think?" Clack. Zack fixed his eyes on the board. "Well they go hand in hand, don't they?"

"I dunno. Do they?"

"Realism means that you know what you are and aren't capable of. Optimism is when you assure yourself what you are capable of can see you through." Clack.

Jarc grimaced at the board but smiled right after. "Looks like you're catching up to me in world-weariness."

"I like to call it philosophy."

"And philosophy, Mister Zack Ying, is made by world weary individuals."

Zack laughed as he lost yet another bout of the game. Still, he was making it more costly for Jarc. As if he was psychic, Jarc said softly, "Remember Zack, a game and reality are different. You will be using real lives out there. Don't make it a habit to fight." Zack nodded.

"The bigger picture?"

"The bigger picture." Zack rose to go. "I guess I'd better sleep now. I've got someone else to think about now if I sleep late." Jarc agreed solemnly. "Yes. I think its safe to say that people like them need somebody to give a damn about them." Zack looked at him. "What do you mean by that?" but Jarc shook his head. "Its for Elyss to tell you, not me. Good night Zack, I'll be rooting for you and your team," and saying that Zack turned and walked towards the dorms as the old, but huge guard closed the door of his guardhouse with a soft click.