Page 13

Zack didn't speak a word to Theo since the day they had the argument. He blatantly ignored Theo even when he stood right in front of him and he urged his clique to do the same and they followed his orders. It turned from a class of students who were all on good terms with each other to something akin to a gang war. Members on both sides would continuously give each other nasty looks which proceeded to insults and arguments and sometimes even to fights, with Zack's group being the more agressive ones. The last group was the group who decidedly stayed neutral and overall thought that this show of rivalry was not worth their time, though on rare occassion, they would add more fuel to the fire, but unknowingly, due to their apathetic attitude. Theo, in actual fact, had tried on more than one instance tried to resolve issues peaceably but Zack's group would be so harsh with their actions that Theo's friends would act on behalf of him and cause the tensions to rise to uncontrollable levels. Mikaella could only watch as her childhood friend turned from an amiable and fun-loving fellow to an angry and petty individual. Mikaella remained unnoticed by Zack, mainly because Zack wanted to spite Theo in this way so she just hung with her own circle of friends again. She was still worried about him because of what Wayne had said. Wayne had left school about a week ago. Only his class was informed so it took a while for the news that the school's 'friendly neighbourhood albino' had left, aided by his unsocial demeanour. No one knew why he left and if it weren't for the brouhaha caused by Zack, speculations would be going all around the school. Mikaella was a bit uneasy about Wayne when she found out his lie but he was gone and she was quite certain that the fact that he had golden eyes wasn't going to fatally affect the world in any way. Nevertheless, she watched out for Zack due to Wayne's warning. She noticed that Zack was subtly regressing back to his old habit of isolating himself from everyone else. He started to remain aloof from his supporters and even from his inner circle. When she happen to overhear him as he passed her by, the conversation would usually just be about the negative aspects of Theo and his group. There were no pleasantries anymore, not even to his own group. They would sometimes just sit at their table in an awkward atmosphere, broken only by weak conversation here and there. Mikaella could see why Wayne was worried. Zack pursued his goals with a single minded intensity, not caring about anything else. The image of his group ultimately tossing him aside was not mere speculation; it was inevitable if Zack continued this attitude. Mikaella had tried to talk to him but his stubborn refusal to even acknowledge her existence, let alone her words, had left her frustrated. So she let out a deep sigh, letting out all her anger and told him, "Alright, Zack. If you want to be like this, then fine. I won't disturb you anymore after this. But I want you to know something, if you ever need me, I'll be there, okay?" Zack gave her no sign that the words registered and Mikaella walked out of the class thinking it was a miracle she didn't blush. She realised, however, that she really meant those words. No matter the way he was acting like a total douchebag now, she knew that sooner or later he would come to his senses - and she would be there, ready to forgive him.